1962 Buick Special Gas Tank

Russelld58

This company advertises gas tanks: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/    

(908) 369 3666 - located in New Jersey

Another one:     AutoPartsObsolete.com  is  the combined listing site for Internet only sales location for  Michael Allen Obsolete auto parts LLC in  Allentown Pennsylvania and Robert Zubal Obsolete Autoparts located in Phoenix Arizona

This one is in western Washington State:  https://www.allamericanclassics.com/

(360) 254 8850

Last one:  https://buickfarm.com/   Clayton, Delaware  (302) 698 7701

Hope this helps....GOOD LUCK!

No one makes new reproductions. 1961-63 Buick Special/Skylark or Olds F85/Cutlass are your only compatible options. People have made the early Nova tanks work (which are available new), but you have to move the filler neck.

I once saw a Buick driver had the inside of the tank fiber glassed. The car was stalling frequently all over the place without notice. The problem was a piece of fiberglass was floating around  inside. He replaced the tank with a new one.

What you may try is to steam the tank out and paste the outside with solder. Another repair is to have the tank galvanized Dipped. There are places that galvanizes all kind of steel. Another way is to cut it open at the seam, galvanize it and then solder or braze it back together.

No luck if you don't look.

BJR radiator in Rochester, NY has a online presence. We had a rust filled Bentley tank come in. Those tanks have baffled chambers with fuel passages between. They cut the top off, cleaned and glass beaded everything, and sealed it up. Anything less would have been a disappointment at some point later.

I used to sell the Bill Hirsch sealer at flea markets back in the 1990's. I always tried to sell two quarts so the buyer could get better coverage. One quart "sloshed" in a 20 gallon tank is not really good coverage. I could always get them to imagine a friend who needed to do the same job, if I encouraged them to do their tank first they would go for two quarts hoping to get the friend to pay for the second quart.

Over the years a lot of vendors have taught me the best part I can get is the one on my car. Whatever it takes to repair, refurbish, or restore it is usually money and time well spent. And I especially watch out for those smooth talkers who tell you how to save money.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Russelld58,

there is an active facebook site for these Buick’s that may assist with a second hand tank plus other parts and information. Good luck with your repair.

Rodney 😊😊😊😇😊😊