Interior Advice! 1941 Dodge

MarkV

So I’m having my 41 Dodge interior redone. It is NOT copied after the original (black exterior with a gray cloth interior). My grandfather painted it red in the early 1960s and had the interior redone with blue and blue plaid and burgundy vinyl. 

I need some help! They are going to be doing the door panels next they will be pleated but Im trying to figure out how they should be designed with both the burgundy and blue vinyl (burgundy on the bottom and blue on the top? Or reverse?). 

the seat will be trimmed all in burgandy and blue pleated for the seating surface. 

any help would be appreciated! 

D291B11E-951E-4EFC-9228-1200577462C7.jpeg

6E7AC8B1-19F8-4033-9E2F-2E49AFDC996C.jpeg

I suppose if you are not following the original, then anything goes.  Do what you like best.  For the door panels, you can take a piece of cardboard and some fabric and make a mockup of your two choices to see which appeals to you more.  If you haven't yet purchased the fabric, then some craft paper of approximately the same colors will do.

This is what an original one looks like, personally I would follow the stock layout and add your colors.  Blue and red stand out, if you want to copy what he had, I would do just that. 

image.png.e2986227b44cd3ac53c2cea17e060505.png

I have seen a couple cars that were reupholstered in the 50's with plaid, it is a statement (officially this is a seat cover)

image.png.c4751e4fa9fda95fe6573ba56815e181.png

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

This is what an original one looks like, personally I would follow the stock layout and add your colors.  Blue and red stand out, if you want to copy what he had, I would do just that. 

image.png.e2986227b44cd3ac53c2cea17e060505.png

I have seen a couple cars that were reupholstered in the 50's with plaid, it is a statement (officially this is a seat cover)

image.png.c4751e4fa9fda95fe6573ba56815e181.png

Thank you! I’m not doing plaid just solid blue that matches the solid color blue it had. It was reupholstered sometime in 1960 so that would explain it!

seats: basically he had the seating surface in blue plaid with the frame and sides in burgandy

i planning to have the burgandy in all the same places with blue pleated seating surface

floor: black ribbed rubber which I’m having the upholsterer recreate.

headliner: it was cloth and still will be and it is in burgandy.

door panels: my grandfather had them with the original cloth at the top and red vinyl at the bottom. 

im trying to figure out how to mix the red and blue to tie into the seat. I want it to be pleated to add some texture.

You’ve given me some good examples! 

yes it’s not original and yes it’s different! But it’s the way my grandfather had it. 

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Interior Advice! 1941 Dodge
20 hours ago, Rivguy said:

That cardboard and craft paper mock up is a great idea. I also applaud you for trying to do something that reflects your Grandfather's ideas.

well it was around 1960 and he was trying to ‘modernize’ the old dodge which was a 20 year old used car at the time. My mom remembered him painting it in the driveway and upholstering the interior which was well worn out by then. 

Red & blue aren't supposed to work together, but they can. My 49 Chrysler wears factory blue paint with factory burgundy & plaid interior; the Highlander trim was heavily promoted by Chrysler. I've seen plenty of aftermarket seat covers that mimic it. A friend redid the interior of his 50 Cadillac that way.

I once did an all-over paint job for a guy, Chevy truck that was blue inside/out. He wanted it repainted red. I was very concerned that he'd hate the combo but to this day I've never seen a bigger smile on a customer's face!

• Like 1