1955 Buick transmission problems.

Matthew Meeker

So we put another dynaflow in the car we thought was good. the car we got it from had been sitting since 89. the shop that did it said it was shifting and driving good they tried it the next morning and it wasn’t hardly wanting to move It wouldn’t hardly move in drive I put it in low and it took off then put it back in drive. Got to a parking lot to check the fluid which was the old transmission fluid and it seemed a little dirty. So to get out of the parking lot I put it in reverse. And I had to rev it up really high to get it to go. I was hearing a whirring sound coming from the transmission but It went then it wouldn’t go into drive again then I put it into low yet again and it went.  then put it into drive and it went when I got back into the shops parking lot I put it in reverse the drive over and over again and it started going. Is all of this happening because the transmission sat so long or does it need the bands adjusted?

thanks Matt. 

Change it clean the pan but It should still move if innards are working properly and the control valve is adjusted right.  It’s not milky looking like from cooler antifreeze contamination is it?  If you rub oil between your fingers or on a white paper towel do you see any grey or shiny metal?

Sounds like pressures low, clutch friction material worn out or clutches not fully applied, valve not adjusted….could be a number of things

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the fluid is changed, might put a can of Berryman's B-12 in it and drive it a while, engaging all of the gear positions a number of times.  If there might be any varnish in the valve body and such, that should clean it out, usually turning the atf "black" in color, by observation.  Then do a full hot drain, including the torque converter, and put new fluid in it.  Recheck operation and such.

It can be good to check pressures, linkage adjustments, and such, for good measure so you'll know things are correct.  On the other hand, IF it had been allegedly operating decently well, the adjustments should not have changed during that long period of idle time, I suspect.  Provided they were all as they should have been before.

Hopefully, "the shop" can learn about DynaFlows and some of their model-year quirks?

Keep us posted on your progress,

NTX5467

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are dreaming! I cranked up a junker that had set in a field for 35 years. after idling a few minutes I shifted it and all gears pulled. I then put that tranny in my car and it worked great.   To think you can get that one to function correctly without work is a pipe dream.

Pressure checks would be in order to find failure but doubt they would be useful from the symptoms described.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)