1941 Chevrolet undercarriage

Todd Maxwell

You could be right.  I don't see any sign of anything but rust.  It has been 80 years.  I am going to use a rust encapulator.  My fuel tank is out and it is an opportunity to paint that while I can.   That will be black.  I could top coat it with a red if it was originally primed in that color, but why waste the effort if it was either bare or black originally.

What about looking at a shop manual at photos, even though they are black and white I am sure from the contrast you can tell if they are painted, or just primed with body color overspray on the floors. How about contacting the AACA Library? I am sure they can help

10 hours ago, John348 said:

Maybe it is, could it be a black primer?

Again, I have to reiterate that my experience is with a 1940 Buick.  The steel underside of the body as well as the frame was painted black.  One source that I found was Bill Anderson who is a Cadillac/Buick guy, stated in his book Restoration Facts, 1941 Buick (https://andersonautomotiveenterprises.com/publications/booksandcds.htm), stated that the underside of the car as well as the frame and chassis components was painted with a poor quality paint.  I could not deduce that it was a primer specifically from his reference.  The millage of the coating on one car that I had, that had also been undercoated, was very thin.  The inner rocker surfaces and a small amount of the adjacent floor surface had overspray of body color.  

I'm afraid I can't be more helpful, particularly on a Chevy on which I have no experience.

14 hours ago, kgreen said:

Again, I have to reiterate that my experience is with a 1940 Buick.  The steel underside of the body as well as the frame was painted black.  One source that I found was Bill Anderson who is a Cadillac/Buick guy, stated in his book Restoration Facts, 1941 Buick (https://andersonautomotiveenterprises.com/publications/booksandcds.htm), stated that the underside of the car as well as the frame and chassis components was painted with a poor quality paint.  I could not deduce that it was a primer specifically from his reference.  The millage of the coating on one car that I had, that had also been undercoated, was very thin.  The inner rocker surfaces and a small amount of the adjacent floor surface had overspray of body color.  

I'm afraid I can't be more helpful, particularly on a Chevy on which I have no experience.

There seems to be a lot of production commonalty with the Fisher Body processes shared across the divisions. The panels were stamped and shipped in to the body assembly plants so it was highly doubtful that they would be bare metal

Edited by John348 (see edit history)