'54 72R and where it all started

TX54

Hello everyone,

Back in '92, I was a young kid playing out in the front yard of my Grandparents' place. I looked up and there was a beautiful '93 Buick Roadmaster Limited coming up the drive. Imagine a pearly white exterior, supple blue leather interior seats with more switches and buttons that I had seen at that point (and my Grandmother put the fear of hell into me about messing with those switches). 

Years later I drove this car in high school, and owned two more of this series. I've always had an affinity for the 1954 Roadmaster, and after a decade-long search I was able to qualify as "caretaker". Found this beauty in MN, and her previous owners have done a swell job of taking care of her also. Many thanks to you-if any of you are on here I hope you see this.

Without further ado, meet "Flossie".

-JT

72R1.jpg

72R3.jpg

72R2.jpg

Inkedjt54_LI.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for the compliments and welcome JohnD1956 and lancemb! 

lancemb - The car had a repaint years ago. From the records I have on the car, I'd surmise that it has been well kept and unrestored. The engine does not smoke. There are drips from the rear end (3rd member). I have replaced the rear shock links and am getting ready to fill rears with oil. The shock link on the passenger side had all of its rubber gone on the link end that attached to the shock lever. 

To date it's made about 400 miles cruising around. Turns heads and all grins. The best part is the look on my buddies' kids faces when they tromp the accelerator and the engine roars to life! What a feeling!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 8:04 AM, TX54 said:

Thanks for the compliments and welcome JohnD1956 and lancemb! 

lancemb - The car had a repaint years ago. From the records I have on the car, I'd surmise that it has been well kept and unrestored. The engine does not smoke. There are drips from the rear end (3rd member). I have replaced the rear shock links and am getting ready to fill rears with oil. The shock link on the passenger side had all of its rubber gone on the link end that attached to the shock lever. 

To date it's made about 400 miles cruising around. Turns heads and all grins. The best part is the look on my buddies' kids faces when they tromp the accelerator and the engine roars to life! What a feeling!

We'd love to see some more pictures...trunk, engine, interior...

On 12/21/2021 at 10:49 PM, lancemb said:

We'd love to see some more pictures...trunk, engine, interior...

Thanks! I'm off on a hitch-when I get back in I will do this. Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday Season!

-JT

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:17 PM, Elpad said:

Beautiful car. A magic carpet ride automobile, ask the man that owns one just like it. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I worked in Miami circa '14-'15. The car in your avatar looks familiar...

Your car is very nice also. -JT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good morning All, was thinking yesterday that I had not posted in awhile and wanted to give a progress report.

One interesting thing - the passenger side window would pull amps when the switch was activated but the window would not roll down. With the recent North Texas cold-spell, I had a hunch, cranked the car, and lo and behold, the window rolled down. I suppose several heat-cold cycles "stuck" the window in the guides. I took some silicone lubricant and generously applied to the felts + rails, and the window now functions as it should.

The next items for attention are:

1) Replacement of front shocks - I have

2) Service of rear shocks - the seals are bad where the lever arm goes into the dampener housing

3) Get speedometer repaired

4) Free up the thermostat control. It works, but tighter than I'd like

5) Repair defroster dampener cable (middle lever)

6) Identify exhaust leak - sounds like around driver side exhaust manifold

Two questions for Y'all:

1) In '54, I thought the Roadmaster cars were equipped with power brakes. Mine does not have. Was this a holdover due to the '53 power brake mishap?

2) The full name of the car is a Roadmaster Riviera Sedan, Model 72R. I thought the Riviera cars had the fully exposed rear wheel openings. What makes this car a Riviera (other than the designation)?

Have a great day!

JT

Experts will know more than me but I believe the Riviera sedan was a bit longer. And in 54 none of the 4 dr cars had full wheel opening in the rear quarters. I think that started in 55 with the 4 dr hardtops (no post between the side windows).  In 56 they all had full wheel openings in the rear quarters.

• Thanks 1