'64 Steering Wheel restoration (Standard)

MY64RIVIERA

Looking for recommendations on shops that can restore my cracked steering wheel.  I contacted Dennis at Quality Restorations listed in the Riview and he said he didn't have the mold for this steering wheel.  I was also surprised that if he could have done it he was quoting around $1,500-2K.  Hoping someone in this group might have had theirs repaired at some point in time and can provide a good recommendation.

Thanks,

Robert 

Steering Wheel.jpg

• Like 1

Red interior!

Same applies to '63 Riviera and full size Buicks of 1963 - 64.

How bad is it? I can see 1 crack and maybe another. Tough to match if touching-up.

The 4 chrome clips on the rim was a good idea. Like partitions in a concrete slab. Allows for expansion without cracking the rim. Lessor cars with a 1-piece mold cracked in more places.

There are kits for DIY from resto suppliers:

https://www.ecklers.com/steering-wheel-complete-restoration-kit-57-287883-1.html

14 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Red interior!

Same applies to '63 Riviera and full size Buicks of 1963 - 64.

How bad is it? I can see 1 crack and maybe another. Tough to match if touching-up.

The 4 chrome clips on the rim was a good idea. Like partitions in a concrete slab. Allows for expansion without cracking the rim. Lessor cars with a 1-piece mold cracked in more places.

There are kits for DIY from resto suppliers:

https://www.ecklers.com/steering-wheel-complete-restoration-kit-57-287883-1.html

The major cracks are on both sides of the horn bar and the top and bottom in the corners where the horn bar meets the wheel circumference.  It's not horrible but in person there are at least 5 or 6 cracks.  I'd like to find a solution this winter while it's in hibernation and have seen the do-it-yourself kits but I'm too worried I would make it worse.   

Hi Robert,

Instead of paying big bucks to a third party, why not restore the steering wheel yourself?

Recently another forum member posted about repairing the cracks on his wood grained wheel.  I provided some ideas on how he could restore his steering wheel.  As you'll see, he was able to do it and you can too!  See here:

The only tricky part may be getting an accurate match to the red color of your interior.  Remove your original steering wheel - it has to come off to be restored anyway, and that's not difficult to do - to a body shop supply house that sells car paint.  They'll have a gizmo that can 'read' the color of your steering wheel to generate a paint formula that matches.  They'll put this into a spray can which you can use to repaint your repaired wheel.  Last time I did this (here in Canada) I paid about $35 for a can of paint to match the plastic green trim inside my car.  The match was perfect and allowed me to refinish some scuffed panels easily.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1