Front Spring Insulator and Shim

OldGerman

My 63 Riviera front sags a little bit on the driver's side.

The front spring is probably a little tired, but the rubber insulator over the spring is also missing.

I think that will make a big difference.

Does anyone have the rough dimensions of the insulator on hand for me?

Maybe I also have to fabricate a shim to be in line with the passenger side ride hight.

I guess the shim diameter would be similar to the insulator outer diameter. 

See illustration attached for reference. 

Thank you all for your input.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-20 um 13.14.00.png

14 hours ago, sixxer said:

While I cannot answer your question directly, I have used appropriately sized I.D. heater hose in the past with good success when the factory rubbers are missing or failing on other vehicles.

That is a good idea. The aftermarket part offered by CARS and OGPI is a simple flat rubber shimr at a cost of 25$.

From the illustration the NOS part Looks more like a molded Part made in a shape which fits the upper coil spring end.

7874C8B7-BAA9-40B9-9793-31B6E8100082.png

Edited by OldGerman (see edit history)

The originals have a piece of steel mounted/bonded to the top ABOVE the rubber. NO WAY will just a piece of rubber hold up to the pressure of the spring & weight of the vehicle. Even though there is really no movement you still have to take into account the weights & what this piece of rubber is subjected too.

Tom T.

• Like 2

I have found an insulator on one side made from a tire side wall. This piece of  rubber is heavily reinforced by the cord. So it was in a good shape. That could be a Self made Solution as well but it is hard to cut a tire.

What size of shim do I have to add to lift the front at the driver side by approximately one inch ?

Thank you 

Best regards 

Frank

RIVNIK,

The shim is going to have a cantilever effect.  Think about it & visualize it.  The left front is low. The left rear would also be low, but not as much & the right front will also be high.  The right rear should be high also.

Tom T.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, RIVNIK said:

I have the same problem, only mine is more like 1 1/2"  How will a 1/2" shim raise the low side 1"? will it simultaneously cause the other side to drop 1/2"?

The suspension coil springs are pre-tensioned when assembled. If the space available for the spring is reduced by inserting a shim, it is further pre-tensioned and thus lifts the vehicle against its own weight through the spring force. 

How far the vehicle rises depends on the spring rate of the coil spring used or it's age/weakness. If it is very strong, the vehicle will lift more than with a low spring rate. If all the information about the installation situation were available, it would even be easy to calculate how far it will lift with a certain shim size.

Since the vehicle is sitting on a spring at every corner, they are all in balance. This means that if the spring at the front left becomes weak and the vehicle sinks at this corner, this also affects the other three corners. The vehicle rises a little at the front and back on the right. Since the front of the vehicle is heavier due to the engine, the rear section in particular is raised more on the right.