'57 Eldo Brougham air bags

Restorer32

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

There are modern air ride kits for Caddys but we want to keep it original.

Just out of curiosity, (approximately) how many or what percentage of late ‘50s Cadillacs came with air suspension and how many have retained it to this day ?

I know some Imperials of that era had such feature, but not sure if anyone ever reproduced fresh OEM type “bags” for them. I looked into it years ago during a restoration of a car, but found the idea excessively cost-prohibitive.

P.S. What or who’s “the nut” you’re referring to ? Being that I’m often referred as one, I’m always interested in kindred spirits and learning why “others” view them (us ?) as such. 😉

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

The "nut" has an extensive catalog of Eldo specific parts.  His answering machine says, and I am paraphrasing, "Due to the extreme amount of orders we have we can no longer find time to talk on the phone, answer e-mails or text messages.  If you need a part we advertise please pick it out of our catalog and send full payment. I will notify you when your part (s) are ready".

• Haha 1

And people think I’m nuts, but that certainly takes it to another level, although I’m not sure it qualifies the proprietor as a “nut”.
I think above behavior is that of an “idiot” or “moron”, but if it allows him to prosper, who am I to question his methods.

57-58 Eldorado Broughams had air suspension standard.  As did 59-60 Cadillac Eldorados, eldorado Seville’s and eldorado broughams.  The 59-60 was a different system.  It was an option on all lower trimmed cars.  Most systems were removed in favor of springs, but the ride can’t be compared. Very smooth.  

If you are in the Cadillac air suspension world you know the guy from CA.  Very expensive, but my system (1960) was replaced in 1998 (all new valves, air compressor and bags) and is still going strong.