314cid Cadillac V8

VintageRacingCar

On 10/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, JV Puleo said:

You'd best say what year. The displacement of Cadillac V-8's was 314 cubic inches from 1915 to 1927 though only the 26 & 27 cars were actually called "314's".

You are absolutely right...The one I m looking for is a 1927 (or 1926)
Tks

1 minute ago, JV Puleo said:

I had a 27 - sold to me and registered as a 26. If I remember correctly, it was built in October of 26 but I'm not sure where I got the information and that was close to 40 years ago.

Wow...is an aged Caddy engine...that can work....
Could you please tell me what;s the condition, and email some pictures if its possible?
my email is fnk@vintageracingcar.com
Thanks
Fred

33 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

The car was in excellent condition but it's long gone. It was my first antique car. I was 18 or 19 when I bought it...

WOW..THat's Awesome!!
now I m feeling bad trying to get it away from you..heheh

• 1 month later...

I agree with Sagefinds: The engine is a 1934 model. The 1935 engine numbers began with 3105001.  I think the manifolds are 180 out of phase in the picture: The semiautomatic choke should be facing towards the engine fan. To me the degree of complexity in manifold design that Cadillac went through to maintain a downdraft carburetor is fascinating and awe-inspiring. It's like having an octopus sitting on top of the engine. I think there is only one mixture adjustment on the carburetor, but there is the usual complexity in the linkage. I suspect it would be a real challenge to tune this engine.  Makes me wonder why, when many (most?) other cars, even some GM cars, had gone to downdraft carburetor designs.

PhiI

12 hours ago, pmhowe said:

I agree with Sagefinds: The engine is a 1934 model. The 1935 engine numbers began with 3105001.  I think the manifolds are 180 out of phase in the picture: The semiautomatic choke should be facing towards the engine fan. To me the degree of complexity in manifold design that Cadillac went through to maintain a downdraft carburetor is fascinating and awe-inspiring. It's like having an octopus sitting on top of the engine. I think there is only one mixture adjustment on the carburetor, but there is the usual complexity in the linkage. I suspect it would be a real challenge to tune this engine.  Makes me wonder why, when many (most?) other cars, even some GM cars, had gone to downdraft carburetor designs.

PhiI

Phil
Engine is 1934 but still a 314CID??
regarding the intake...Totally agree!...crazy and awesome at the same time
Tks
Fred

• 2 months later...

There were three series of model 314, produced mainly over 1926-7; with the 314Aphased in as replacement for the last of the V63 sometime during 1925.   There were a lot of alterations between a constatly changing progression of models, which an unknowing person might think likely to be very much the same,  because the all had fork&blade connecting rods; and identical 3.125" bore and 5.125" stroke  for314 cubic inch displacement.  All the V63 engines had longer connecting rods and piston skirts. this may have changed performance characteristics a bit with different torque curves, but this also made the engines noticeably heavier.  One really basic change happened during 1923.  Apparently while chief Engineer Ernest Seaholm was studying European ideas on extended absence,  Charles Kettering and mathematician Hutchinson devised a split plane crankshaft with different firing order and counterweights.    They obtained the approval of Alfred Sloane; and Engineer Seaholm retuned from Europe to find that without his effort or approval, his Cadillacs had lost their harmonic vibration periods which were very bothersome in cars with large closed bodywork.  ( it was a painful nuisance however, if you had to remove a piston and connecting rod from underneath; and the worst annoyance was the need to remove and replace the crankshaft counterweights.)   The Man who had been Cadillac agent in Melbourne in the 1920sand 30s told me much because I was polite and happy to listen.  We probably have much better sealing compounds for the cork carburetter floats;  and i would have much less grief shaping cork for a new one.      Starter drove a bevel ring gear,  mounted vertically at the back of the engine.  Generator was mounted at the front and topof the aluminium crankcase, with fan mounted on the front and driven by a very heavy thick fan belt.  Water pump and oil pump were driven by cross shaft and skew gears   , one on either side.   In the 314Cthe generator and waterpump were mounted low on the right , and driven by a silent enclosed chain.   On 314B and C the instruments are mounted with a very elegant German silver plate, which. has a very ornate pressed design,which is inlaid with fiddleback walnut veneer,   From all this complex detail you should be able to work out which model you have.

• Like 1