Alvis, Pre war, Speed Models, TA-14, TA-21 and Newer ......Check in here

I see a pair of Alvis automobiles will be on auction at Hershey this year.  These are both nice automobile and not well known here in the US but have a strong following on the other side of the pond.  These are pretty automobiles and run out nicely.  Check them out.  If I had deeper pockets, I would certainly be serious on the Speed Model.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf21/hershey/lots/r0067-1939-alvis-speed-25-pillarless-two-door-saloon-by-vanden-plas/1165832

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf21/hershey/lots/r0066-1948-alvis-ta-14-drophead-coupe-by-carbodies/1165830

1939 Alvis Speed 25 Pillarless Two-Door Saloon

Lot 150 | $90,000 - $130,000 USD
Offered Without Reserve

1948 Alvis TA 14 Drophead Coupe

Lot 152 | $45,000 - $70,000 USD
Offered Without Reserve

1939 Alvis Speed 25 Pillarless Two-Door Saloon1948 Alvis TA 14 Drophead Coupe

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

I think both the above sold Alvis Speed 25 and the Alvis TA-14 Carbodies DHC sold for honorable and good US market prices.  They are both beautiful and desirable models from a "rare" marque that have been made available here in the US.  Alvis is very much understated and unknown in the US. Does anyone know of any Alvis Speed series automobile projects available in the US?  What are other thoughts and opinions regarding Alvis on this forum?

Al

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned that the nice Alvis Speed Model, that sold at Hershey, is on its way to Germany.  The Alvis marque is most surely under rated here in the US and are simply not known for the quality automobile they are.  I am not sure yet where the nice TA-14 DHC will next reside.  Does anyone here know?  If you know about an Alvis, here in the US, either restored, project or parts car, please post here.  Maybe we can get the word out.

Al 

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• alsfarms changed the title to Alvis, Pre war, Speed Models, TA-14, TA-21 and Newer ......Check in here

Tony Curtis was an interesting actor and he chose a very rare and unusual automobile to drive and a left hand car to boot.  It must certainly been imported to the US by him.  I think this one is an Alvis TF DHC.  I don't remember the color. How about a color picture from the 1960's of Tony Curtis and Alvis.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a beautiful Alvis Speed tourer, that was recently sold by Hyman.  It is easy to see why this Marque has a serious following across the pond.  Alvis should be better known here in the US! Alvis is a serious competitor of Lagonda, Bentley and other British as well as European heavy hitters!

Al

6767.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another picture of an Alvis Speed 20.  These are beautiful automobiles to say the least!  To those that do not know, Alvis automobiles all used "Coach-built" bodies, (custom).  The big headlamps add a very certain British appeal.  This beautiful green Alvis has every masculine appearance of an MG TC on serious steroids!

Al

Alvis Speed 20 - Wikipedia

What other internet forums are active for those interested in British heavy weight autombile makes?  Make your suggestions here to share with others.  One such place to learn more about Alvis is the Alvis club centered in the UK.  They are the premier place for all things Alvis, information, tours, meets, original cars, projects, parts, specials and competition racers are all available.  If you want to learn more, check out the Alvis Club.  You will learn to appreciate a relatively unknown, in the US, grand British Marque...... Alvis.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

There is an excellent book about Alvis: "Alvis, The Story of the Red Triangle", by Kenneth Day. Published 1981 byGentry Books, London. It covers company history, racing history, car specs and performance, aero engines, and armored vehicles. It has lots of black and white pictures. A great book for any car enthusiast.

Phil

• Like 1

Here is another Alvis offering for 1928.  This one is front wheel drive, (FWD) the first for the British.  This Alvis was a full on factory prepared race car. Here are a few spec's. 1481 CC engine, overhead cam, supercharged and competed many times at Brooklands.  It would be nice to take a ride in one of these, but will likely never happen as I know of none of these in the USA.

Al

Alvis fwd.jpg

Here is a later model Alvis TD-21 from 1961.  This particular Alvis has a Graeber body and is quite elegant.  Most defiantly a coach-built automobile.  These later era Alvis automobiles have a very good following and the prices for them show the desirability and specific Bristish styling.

Al

Alvis TD21 Coupe Special by Graber '1961

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

That is indeed a beautiful car. Also very rare: I have been unable to find actual production numbers, but Ken Day’s book listed fifteen of them in existence (in 1981) compared to 157 Speed 20s and 77 Speed Twenty fives. The drophead coupe variant is even rarer, as most of the Crested Eagles were closed-body cars.

I like the lines of this car very much. However, the two driving lights and the bumper are a bit jarring. Note the way the driving lights are wired and the cutout in the bumper for the starting handle. I’m sure the bumper was standard factory equipment, but suspect the driving lights were added after market.

Phil

• Like 1

Hello Phil,

Do you have an affiliation with Alvis or just a sideline interest?  I have always had a soft spot for British developments and wanted a bit of British involved with my antique auto hobby.  I initially thought MG, Triumph, Jaguar and even Riley.  However, I read several articles about an obscure British marque, here in the US, Alvis.  I have been infactuated since.  Some day a Speed model but for now I have gleaned a TA-14 Mulliner parts car and a tore up TA-14 Carbodies DHC.  Additional scrounging around the US has produced me a 70 percent TA-21 Mulliner sedan.  I would encourage anyone, with an interest in Alvis, to join the Alvis Owners Club.

Al

Back in the 1980s, I was lucky enough to attend an Alvis Owners Club meet held at RAF Duxford. I fell in love with their pre-war cars. In addition to striking good looks, they seemed more advanced in design (and less expensive) than contemporary Bentleys and more advanced in design and better made (and more expensive) than the contemporary SS and Jaguar cars. The 1933 Crested Eagle had independent front wheel suspension, the first production British car to do so. I almost bought a mid-fifties Alvis TA-21 one time, but decided it was too modern for me. The pre-war Alvis cars have since become quite pricey

There is a lovely Speed 20 drophead coupe currently for sale (in Switzerland) for $147K USD, listed in Classic Driver. It is listed as being painted “mouse and mole grey”! I like the colors, in spite of the un-glamorous names.

Phil

Alvis Speed 25.png

• Like 2

Hello Phil,

We're you military back then in 1980's?  All you need to do wire over 147K to Switzerland and bring that DHC home.  I would have a good reason to come visit and take a ride.  I agree with prewar as compared to postwar offerings from most manufacturers.  The TA-14 has prewar ties with the 12-70.  I see that, across the pond, even the 50's and 60's Alvis offerings are commanding nice asking prices.  I note the current prices for a well sorted and accurate open Speed Model Alvis is in line with comparable Bentley, Lagonda and other British heavy hitters.  It's only money......and if I could climb the money tree.....I would buy a Prewar Alvis.

Al

Alsfarms , I am sorry to say I do not remember . It was more than a FEW years ago . But not crazy money as I was very close to pulling the trigger . I wonder if the Santa Barbra location would help give it a high price . Nice car , it still tempts me .

• Like 1

I need to check and see how much valve clatter the Shooting Brake has with not many miles on it.  Over the years I have been a member of the Alvis OC, I have seen a big cross section of shooting brake designs and quality.  Everything from crude home brew jobs to the elegant, something that would not take you back to drive.  This current auto in California most surely not hurt my feelings to take on a nice summer road trip.  I am going check to see if the dealer has a video clip that we can share here.

Al

Here is a picture of a very nice 1949 Alvis TA-14 Mulliner Sedan.  As mentioned before, all Alvis automobiles have "Coach Built" (custom) bodies.  Notice the nice and well proportioned front and the detail of the Mulliner body sides, coupled with a low profile.  These TA-14's are still as elegant as they were when new and have a solid following.

Al

image.png.e3371b2abf8dcfe3a9086f60533d1bf0.png