Alvis, Pre war, Speed Models, TA-14, TA-21 and Newer ......Check in here

I watched a fun, and based on fact, movie called "Whiskey Galore".  This 2016 movie is based on a real happening on a small Scottish island during WW2.  I bring this fact up as I caught a small technical snafu.  There is a scene where a very nice Alvis TA-14 DHC is being driven by the local Dr.  It should have been an Alvis 12-70 to be more accurate to the years during WW2.  The Alvis TA-14 came out in 1946 after the war ended and the 12-70 before the war.  If you get a chance, watch this fun movie and share your observations.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be directly auto related but it does show the wide umbrella of the Alvis company.  This clip shows a startup of an Alvis Leonides 9 cylinder radial aircraft engine.  Even we car guys can enjoy a start up of a vintage radial aircraft engine......nothing better than this sound!

AL

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

I can't resist.  Alvis also built many military engines including this larger supercharged Leonides radial engine.  This was at the same time that Alvis was also building some very fine and desirable road warriors.  This Brit is proving his manhood starting this 9 cylinder radial engine with open straight pipes and no hearing protection!  What did you say...my ears are ringing!

Enjoy...

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

Here is a fun video clip of a first start of a double row 18 cylinder Alvis aircraft engine fitted to a modified pulling tractor.  From the looks and sounds, this clip must be from an eastern block country...maybe Transylvania.  Does anyone here have more information on the current status of this unit?

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a nice You Tube clip that everyone who enjoys foreign automobiles and competition will certainly enjoy.  Watch for a very competitive Alvis DHC, oh yes, Lagonda, Mini, Jag, MB, MG, AH, others to many to list and of course an AC Cobra.  Sit back and enjoy...

Al

https://youtu.be/cOIKoBA8nt4

Edited by alsfarms

That was a great video. Lots of good cars, fun driving, and beautiful scenery. In addition to the Alvis (a 1952 TA -21?), my favorites where the HRG, the Lagonda, the Healy Silverstone, and the two Morgans. The performance of the Healy 3000 was impressive. I thought the Silverstone would be the one to push the Cobra.

I was glad to see the two Morgans. I’m surprised there weren’t more. Apparently, they didn’t perform too well, as they weren’t given much attention.

It was fun to watch the Volvo P544 pass the previous trophy winners. I had one years ago, and it did not overwhelm me with its sporting characteristics. In stock form, it was a real pig in the corners.

I was also surprised at how well the cars sounded at high altitude. The narrator mentioned the Morris Minor that was gasping its last breath, and there was a Triumph TR3 that was beginning to stumble badly from running too rich, but the rest sounded pretty good. There must have been a lot of mixture adjustments at the various rest stops.

You are correct; everyone should enjoy this video, and I certainly did. Thanks for posting it.

Phil

Edited by pmhowe
Spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pardon me for butting in, I am currently in the process of attempting to buy what must be one of the earliest surviving Alvis. It is a side valve four cylinder with rear wheel brakes only. It currently has the (new) timber frame for a two seater roadster body. I will not know exactly its year and model designation until I get it home and do a through search for engine and chassis number but it is most probably either a 10-30 ora 11-40.. To do properly this means measuring the bore and stroke.

• Like 1

Hello Phil, I share your thoughts. A fellow, in my area drove for years as a daily driver a humble Volvo sedan.  When I was young, I thought they were ugly.....with age comes wisdom and I would own one as a daily driver if I could find one.  They are classy in there own way.  I enjoy all the cars competing and was glad they put personality by letting us know some of the competitors.  It made for a more interesting video. My brother owned a an AH 3000, his wife still drives a Jag XJ6, my other brother owns a souped up MM.  I am the Alvis fan in my family.  I have to admit, I really enjoyed watching the Americanized AC Cobra strut it's stuff!  Sad that we Americans tend to take our interest in competitive automobiles away from competition, unlike our brothers on the other side of the pond, (they like to compete). I would have liked to see a MB 300 SL in the mix with more Big Porsche offerings. What fun!

Al

Edited by alsfarms

Hello Bernie, You are certainly not intruding here at all.  I am just trying to make the Alvis marque more well known among enthusiasts on the US side of the pond and with anyone who ventures to read here.  It will be nice to have you share your upcoming and potential future Alvis project here for us to soak up.  I am guessing the early Alvis, you are considering, is located down under?  As you learn more, and if you are willing, I would contact the early Alvis experts in the Alvis Owner Club, of which I am a member and help with information.

Good for you Bernie....

Al

Hey AJ,

This 1936 Alvis is owned by a friend in south FL.  Unrestored original.  I'm pretty sure it's not for sale, but if you want, I'll ask him when I see him again in a couple of weeks.  It looks a lot like my 1947 Jaguar Mark IV.

George

On 2/21/2022 at 7:17 PM, alsfarms said:

Does anyone know of Alvis parts piles, project cars or unrestored cars?

Al

IMG_4052.JPG.2edccfd06ad570dc6bf4bf3c4a005060.JPGIMG_4051.JPG.e61ddff43c55986461ce1d9dc1c1cd05.JPGIMG_4049.JPG.49674eff4f0d4b2b5b43f850b86095b9.JPGIMG_4048.JPG.de7580b03bb0749513f6e2ad5b06ab02.JPGIMG_4047.JPG.74954537fa8943603f02b365e43d5b76.JPGIMG_4046.JPG.a31211bbfb27464f2c615163eb29f099.JPGIMG_4045.JPG.f75fd1c6d9546588df73a531bf17f28d.JPGIMG_4044.JPG.aa42467f6d626844f4bd65b80e0fde52.JPGIMG_4043.JPG.d2f491c7e39fb3558854da59445b62e0.JPGIMG_4042.JPG.1dec384acc748cd953020522035973f4.JPGIMG_4009.JPG.c0678029af81aa019019b4d1b4b3cd85.JPGIMG_4008.JPG.efc429f8e452863068234175e1300ca0.JPGIMG_4053.JPG.b75dbe426a6f754f8114923148912b67.JPGIMG_4053.JPG.b75dbe426a6f754f8114923148912b67.JPG

• Like 1

Good Morning All

Below is the vendors photograph of my latest purchase, a Side Valve, 11/40, ALVIS from 1922. It is currently making the long road trip via a car transport from the Central Coast of New South Wales (Australia) to our home in East Doncaster a suburb  Melbourne Victoria, where it will share garage space with my 1934 Lagonda Rapier, a car that I have owned since 1968. We have driven over 100,000 miles in the  Rapier. My first task with the Alvis will be to complete the work already commenced on the body. The vendor tells me that there has already been much work done on the motor and that it should be "Ready to run". On completion it should be one of, if not the oldest (drivable) Alvis anywhere in the world.

Bernie Jacobson.

image.png.60e9a91dfd546f2d40edc91771dabc20.png

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Al 

Yes! the last owner had the car for 60+years and never got around to finishing it. He tells me that he has quite a large file (of paper work, etc) devoted to the car so that should make some interesting reading.

I just hope that considering my age (85) that I will manage to get the car finished a little more quickly.

I am not a big fan of the Duck's back body style. Alvis did not adopt that body until after my car's chassis had left the factory.

It came to Australia (new), by ship from England, as a rolling chassis.

It will probably be a couple of weeks until I actually have the car "at home".

It certainly is my intention to use the timber body frame that comes with the car. This is a two seater roadster, the only change is that I will not use the "dickey seat" arrangement but have the luggage space lid hinged at the front. i.e. Lifting from the rear.

I will know more when I have actually had time to look at it properly.

Because of the distances involved I have a bad habit of buying cars having only seen photographs.

Perhaps I am too trusting, expecting people to be as honest with me as I am in all my dealings.

This Alvis is typical. I have paid the agreed price, having never seen the car, I just hope that I am not too disappointed!

Bernie j.

Good Morning Al,

Attached is the information that you are seeking. Borrowed from my "Bible"; Culshaw & Horrobin's "Complete Catalogue of British Cars".

If you do not already have one. It should come very high on your list of books to buy. You can tell from the condition of the dust cover just how well used my copy is.

Mine is a 1974 edition but it has been reprinted and up-dated at least once since then.  

A valuable addition to any enthusiast, interested in British cars, Book collection.

It contains all the information that most people are looking for. In addition to the "Chart" giving lots of valuable data, there are photographs and a brief, written, description of almost every British car manufacturer's range of models.

For example, there are ten pages devoted to Alvis 1920 to 67.

Bj.

image.jpeg.e01039fc59e3dbf8847d7ea8ccd49c9c.jpeg

image.jpeg.7d98c621bd2ad2049b26d0bd43d43460.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the number of A & T Fords,Chevs, Willys, Buicks & Packards etc sold in the eastern half of Australia I would have to think USA. Certainly there were a lot of Morris and Austin cars sold together with a wide variety of other British and European makes, some of these made it "off the beatern track" as is witnessed by a Citroen being the first car to be driven the whole way around. 

Bj.

• 2 weeks later...

All you need to do is compare the size of the land mass and population to arrive at an answer. Havings said that Australians do seem to favour American cars mainly due to the ease and comfort they provide for long distance journeys.

Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km, United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km,  while NZ has a total of 268,021 sq km for both islands combined. 

Regarding population numbers Australia has a population of 20.5 million, United States 307.2 million while NZ has just 4.9 million.

Re the number of people per square mile in each country. Australia has just 7 people per square mile while NZ has 15 and the USA 84.

Of course my comments regarding the origins of the cars Australian's  drive are now well out of date, the bulk of Australians now drive Japanese and Chinese built cars. Very sad but true. Our own modest Motor Car Industry has all but disappeared!

Both General Motors and Ford who for a great many years built cars in Australia have closed down their assembly plants!

Bj.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been real quiet here in the outback area of the US for Alvis.  Has any movement taken place? A friend was in Florida a week ago and sent me pictures of a couple of Alvis beauties that were at a show.  I will try to post those pictures here.

Al

• 2 months later...

I am not very well versed on Facebook but I just learned that Facebook has an active Alvis group with quite a bunch of Alvis specific chatter taking place. If you occasionally look at this chat but are not very familiar with Alvis, the Face look group is a good place to learn. The Alvis is a very well made automobile that rivals LaGonda and Bentley in performance, looks and sells price.

Al

• 2 months later...