Walt: Custom body on a 1927 Ford built on Long Island

1937hd45

Reminds me of a lot of people that were car collectors here on long island some time ago, with the Covid issue haven't see many in a while.

I have seen this photo before, someone at a local historians semi annual meeting showed it to me ( non car historians) . They asked me about it and I under my breath I noted it matched many of the people in the same room at the time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, so as someone who's never been to the NYC area, I have to ask...Do they actually grow potatoes on Long Island? I know that Long Island is not as citified as some areas around there, but I wasn't aware that it had agriculture (if that's in fact the case.) I really need to visit that part of the world some day.

45 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Okay, so as someone who's never been to the NYC area, I have to ask...Do they actually grow potatoes on Long Island? I know that Long Island is not as citified as some areas around there, but I wasn't aware that it had agriculture (if that's in fact the case.) I really need to visit that part of the world some day.

Yes, there is lots of agriculture on the outer end of Long Island, particularly the "North Fork".  There are still some potato farms, but much of the land has been converted to vineyards for wine making - and wine tasting.  There are also good beaches out there, restaurants, and hotels.  We like to stay in Greenport.  Ferries run regularly from New London, CT, makes a nice trip and you don't have to drive through NYC.  Just do a Google Street View along Route 25 and Route 48 on the North Fork and look around.  It's about 100 miles from NYC.  I'll bet Walt can chime in on this.

964358420_KrupskiFarm_Peconic_NY_Rte25.png.d488a3fb50485c804c2de41be1cce93a.png

Krupski's Farm, Rte 25 in Peconic, NY.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Yes, the Eastern end of long island still has a lot of agriculture. 100 years ago more so, but the farm land in the western most half  up into the center of the island has been used for housing, the draw of NY City and main state roads built to get to the city, rail transportation etc has increased the demand for homes.  The major north shore ( on long island sound) estates of the era of the Great Gatsby were all sold up in the late 1950s into the 1960s, one or two became colleges . ( as a kid I used to attend auctions held on the estates of their contents , that was my life long influence for a love of early 20th century everything - add in the fact I studied and taught art and my fate was/is sealed as a sentimentalist) Long island has always been a draw for large estates and homes ( C.W. Post of Post cereal lived here, as did Walter P. Chrysler his home now the merchant Marine Academy since the 1940 era - Chrysler's estate on the north shore was located so he could walk out his back door in the morning , look towards the NY City skyline and see the building he built and named after himself!!!) Teddy Roosevelt lived here too and his house is a national historic site.  The very east end on the north shore is full of vineyards that grow grapes for wine production.

Sorry for the long answer, I am active in the state historians society for well over a quarter of a century - yes there are farms still on long island at and one time potatoes were the largest crop)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 4:18 PM, Gary_Ash said:

Yes, there is lots of agriculture on the outer end of Long Island, particularly the "North Fork".  There are still some potato farms, but much of the land has been converted to vineyards for wine making - and wine tasting.  There are also good beaches out there, restaurants, and hotels.  We like to stay in Greenport.  Ferries run regularly from New London, CT, makes a nice trip and you don't have to drive through NYC.  Just do a Google Street View along Route 25 and Route 48 on the North Fork and look around.  It's about 100 miles from NYC.  I'll bet Walt can chime in on this.

964358420_KrupskiFarm_Peconic_NY_Rte25.png.d488a3fb50485c804c2de41be1cce93a.png

Krupski's Farm, Rte 25 in Peconic, NY.

This is a few miles from where I live. Al Krupski is a farmer and also our county legislator. I see him in a suit at local functions and also on his tractor. When I walk on my street in the fall, I often find potatoes in the road by the railroad crossing where they bounce out of the potato trucks. Yes, they still grow them here.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 4:03 PM, Walt G said:

Yes, the Eastern end of long island still has a lot of agriculture.

I grew up on the South Shore in Blue Point (oysters) and spent many a day out east. Wading River, Rocky Point, ect all have great farms still. Peaches and Pumpkins.  Many a sod farm.  Have a buddy who started a hop farm a few years back.  Just a great old area with lots of history. Father was a fireman forever at Camp Upton (Brookhaven National Lab) and was a WW 1 recruit training area (Yip Yip Yaphank) and boy was that a place to explore.   But yes, vineyards have really taken over.  Thanks for bringing back some memories.