Supercharged 1935 Auburn on bringatrailer

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1935-auburn-851/

This 1935 Auburn 851 cabriolet is powered by a supercharged 280ci Lycoming L-head straight-eight paired with a three-speed manual transmission and a two-speed rear axle. It was acquired by the seller approximately 15 years ago and subsequently refurbished, with work including a repaint in maroon with a tan soft top over replacement tan leather upholstery. Features include a rumble seat, a side-mounted spare wheel, a period Crosley radio, and a heater. This Auburn 851 has won a first-place award at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg reunion and is now offered with ACD Club documentation and a clean Illinois title in the seller’s name listing the last five digits of the car’s serial number.

Supercharged 1935 Auburn 851 Cabriolet

The cabriolet body was constructed by the Central Manufacturing Company of Connersville, Indiana, a Cord subsidiary. It is said to have received bodywork before a repaint in its current maroon with gold pinstripes under current ownership. Features include a tan soft top, polished teardrop-style headlight housings, chrome bumpers, a split-folding hood, full fenders, running boards, rear-hinged doors, and dual Auburn-branded taillights.

35 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

The single sidemount on the right is certainly odd. Obviously they couldn't install one on the left side, but is this a factory configuration? I've never seen just one sidemount on an Auburn before. Model As, yes, Auburns, no.

Your factory choice on a blown 35/36 is a rear mount spare or a single side mount on the right side.

• Like 3

Know nothing about this particular car although I would point out that Auburn used the same bodies up and down the product line in 35/36.

These are GREAT driving cars.  I remember in the late early 90s I had a friend with this exact car except beige and he could not give it away.   Times have changed.

• Like 1

I spent a good solid hour with the car two years ago at the ACD Festival - the buyer has a fine car that technically should have sold higher though did bring a respectable number (ie Well Bought and equally Well Sold !).

A friend made the comment to me that it stalled at 90K and I said understandable as that is what most people think they are worth and do not realize rarity, cost to get a good car, what a good car really is, and that there is an unseen marketplace in how the truly well done cars trade hands (word of mouth through our club and behind the scenes dealer activity via dealers who are long term Club members and have ACD product personally).  And when it comes down to 851/852's there are maybe 5 to 8 Cabriolets that stack up anywhere comparable in authenticity matched to finished product of this automobile - and this automobile is particularly nut and bolt correct (the owner is one of about 5 of us who know how to do a car nut and bolt correct).  Sidenote: there are a lot of nice Cabriolets out there, though most have 10K plus in authenticity issues alone not to mention ....  - fast cars that lead fast lives and they are a handful to properly restore).

I would say the car was two years ago when last seen capable of 99 or 98.5 points in CCCA judging - rare in an Auburn outside of a Boattail. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I spent a good solid hour with the car two years ago at the ACD Festival - the buyer has a fine car that technically should have sold higher though did bring a respectable number (ie Well Bought and equally Well Sold !).

A friend made the comment to me that it stalled at 90K and I said understandable as that is what most people think they are worth and do not realize rarity, cost to get a good car, what a good car really is, and that there is an unseen marketplace in how the truly well done cars trade hands (word of mouth through our club and behind the scenes dealer activity via dealers who are long term Club members and have ACD product personally).  And when it comes down to 851/852's there are maybe 5 to 8 Cabriolets that stack up anywhere comparable in authenticity matched to finished product of this automobile - and this automobile is particularly nut and bolt correct (the owner is one of about 5 of us who know how to do a car nut and bolt correct).  Sidenote: there are a lot of nice Cabriolets out there, though most have 10K plus in authenticity issues alone not to mention ....  - fast cars that lead fast lives and they are a handful to properly restore).

I would say the car was two years ago when last seen capable of 99 or 98.5 points in CCCA judging - rare in an Auburn outside of a Boattail. 

Hey John,  where you been?

I remember you making similar comments a while back when we were discussing a phaeton for sale.   I agree with you and I think what you are saying could probably apply to most of the the rarer marques.   There are always a handful of guys that really know what is going on and can distinguish the 10% of the really good stuff from the rest.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Hey John,  where you been?

I remember you making similar comments a while back when we were discussing a phaeton for sale.   I agree with you and I think what you are saying could probably apply to most of the the rarer marques.   There are always a handful of guys that really know what is going on and can distinguish the 10% of the really good stuff from the rest.

I have been practicing real estate it takes a lot of time to build a new RE business.   That said, my business partner and I have been calling it quits this week and I am in process of changing over to the #1 Coldwell Banker Realty office on the Globe - so expecting even less time (and cars have not seen too much of me either, eating too late, dog is complaining as we are walking too late, and ...). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Add'l Sidenote - My personal opinion is next owner needs at minimum to add a set of factory optional wheel trim rings and if possible add a factory optional set of "all that jazz" wheel disk covers - super sweet. 

I like the wheel disks.  I think I still have one set of the optional Lyon snap on stainless spokes hanging around, but I prefer the disks.

BuddSpokePatent.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 1:52 PM, alsancle said:

John,

What is the going rate these days on a real EX32 1 3/8 Venturi Stromberg these days?   I have one I was thinking of dragging along to Hershey.

alsancle,

I am looking for a replacement carburetor as ours is cracked, do you still have yours?

• Like 1