1962 Skylark Front Suspension Re-build

Ohjai

1. 1962 Skylark Front Suspension rebuild. Has anyone removed the front suspension from a 62 Skylark?
  2. If so, is there anything I should be aware of?
  3. How about purchasing the complete assembly, rebuilding it then installing it.
Mine is is working okay, but all the rubber is shot with nothing to hold the grease in, plus it is over 60 years old and I think it would like to have new joints, just like some of us over 60 would like new ones also.
Jim

I'm suspecting the front suspension is similar to other GM cars with separate coil springs and shock absorbers . . . but might seek a Buick factory chassis service manual for good measure.

There are a few tools you'll probably need.  One important one can be a good floor jack and a coil spring compressor tool.  Plus some good jack stands!  Removing the front coil springs can be done without a spring compressor IF you are very careful and have an assistant to watch/help, by observation.  Past that, just remove things, refurbish them, and install.

How many miles on the car?  Reason I ask is that if the car does not have that many miles on it, the rubber can be age-deteriorated will little wear on the moving parts/joints/linkage.  If all you need is boots for the suspension joints, those can be purchased separately via the "Help!" rack at many auto supply stores.  Take the remains and dimensions (diameter, outside and of the stud that fits through them) with you for reference.  KEY POINT is that if you start replacing things just to replace them, you can chunk large sums of money at the project and end up with something that is marginally better than what you started with.  If "new" matters more than that, I'll PM you the phone numberr of a source for USA-made NOS and NORS parts.  In any event, new rubber bushings and other rubber items will need replacing.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1

Thanks NTX5467.  The odometer shows about 25,000, but going by the grease and dirt around the suspension I think it is probably 125,000.  I was thinking about removing the complete suspension so I could clean it up and work on it in the open spaces instead of trying to do it from the bottom side. 

I have a 4 post lift that allows me to get the car high enough to sit underneath it.  Also have a couple of spring compressors for the Rolls-Royce springs, but they may not work.  I am not against purchasing the correct tools when they are available.  I also have the correct manuals for the car. 

BUT!  I am 82 and not as good at retaining what I read.

Please PM me the Info for the US made items, that is exactly what I am looking for.

Jim

• Thanks 1

It would be best to take the time to source old stock parts. A little searching on Ebay should help you get together a list of NOS or MOOG part numbers. Newer parts will show up under the "Fits All" system but I have found poor castings and rough machine threads on a lot of offshore parts. Plug in a search that notifies you and watch for the older quality parts. A couple of years ago I put together a full MOOG rebuild set for my 1948 Packard for under $300.

For example, yesterday I ran across a '98 Tahoe idler arm I had purchased for the truck I sold in the Spring, new in the box. It cost something like $12. Tomorrow is garbage day and it will go. I made that decision when I looked at it. The only value was for educational purposes- like, I learned not to buy any more of that stuff.

Just be sure to gather all your parts before you start.  And don't overlook The Buick Farm. You may find some deals on NOS parts.

One little cheater, I have gotten into the habit of replacing sway bar link rubbers with polyurethane. It seems to firm my cars up a little on the curves.

No 60FlatTop to adjust the ride height for sagging springs, you add sand bags to the underside of the BOOT lid, not on the deck of the BOOT, that will make the car lower.

To change the springs you take the weight off of them by turning the car upside down then you just lift them out.

Jim

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

NTX5467, For pin stripes I search google for someone that  welds the pins together to form the circle.  The front grill is a snap, just 6 or 8 bolts, it varies depending on what model you are working on.  If you miss a couple, then you hear the SNAP.

Jim

59 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

So you have been working with referring to the shop manual.

That is correct, but you have to be sure you do it between March 20, and June 21.  After all it is a SPRI|NG JOB.

• 10 months later...

A couple of weeks ago I got in touch with Craig at Mobile Parts.  I told him that I wanted to rebuild the suspension on my 62 Skylark. I now have EVERY thing I need, bushings, ball joints, bearings, shocks, springs, every thing but the time and labor to do the job.

If you need impossible hard to find hens teeth, call Craig, he is the go to person.  I am very pleased with my dealing with him. His number is 516 - 485 - 1935.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3