Fixed! Turn Signal Switch for Buick 1958

Buickboy58

• Buickboy58 changed the title to Fixed! Turn Signal Switch for Buick 1958

Great idea sir.

You have given me  a thought as what to do with mine.

I'm presuming those screw heads are not too tall giving you lot's of clearance?

Come back and let us know how it turns out (no pun intended) once completely assembled please.

35 minutes ago, dei said:

Great idea sir.

You have given me  a thought as what to do with mine.

I'm presuming those screw heads are not too tall giving you lot's of clearance?

Come back and let us know how it turns out (no pun intended) once completely assembled please.

Thanks, I had to install flat head machine screws under the spring tensioner for clearence and round head for the two other one.

Got another problem, the wire for the horn coming in the steering column tube broke when I remove the steering, do you know how to replace the wire or how to get it. Thanks

Sorry I don't know how to access the horn wire to replace it as mine were in good shape. The only thing I had to do was make an insulating gasket at the top of the wire as mine had melted some and would make contact blowing the horn some times.

Doug

5 minutes ago, dei said:

Sorry I don't know how to access the horn wire to replace it as mine were in good shape. The only thing I had to do was make an insulating gasket at the top of the wire as mine had melted some and would make contact blowing the horn some times.

Doug

Thanks

To fix that horn wire right you really need to take out and disassemble the steering column.  It's a puzzle.  You'll find that the wire is soldered to a brass collar that is likely got a split it in.  I got a tip on here, used a copper plumbing fitting to replace it and it worked great.  You can install a new wire too while you are at it.  I doubt you want to dive this deep in this car though since you are not keeping it original.  Could be wrong.  The way you are going with this car it would probably be better to install a horn button.

• Like 1