Project 65 Wildcat Coupe - Assembly

Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel

Ok Buick People!  One might guess from my "handle" and 21 years of posting on the forum that I am into 65 Wildcats.

This one is the second one I purchased.  The first is my Sea Foam Green Custom Convertible that showed up in Hemmings 

around 1998.  I had to call and ask about it for the most obscure reason- the phone prefix was the same as my work establishment (681)

so I figured it would be close by.  But that is not the car I am featuring in this post.

The second one purchased came from S. Carolina.  I had a job there and had a friend look at it...he advised not to purchase LOL.

While it was in transit an issue of the Bugle had a lead (from none other than Pete Phillips) for a 65 Wildcat 4-speed coupe.

I was conflicted for 10 seconds and had to make the call for that one too.  2 65 Coupes on the way, the year: 2000.  Registered one in April and one in May.

This automatic, bucket seat, console, Flame Red custom was inoperative as there had been an engine fire that damaged the hood-an Electra btw, at least by the center trim!   It is still leaning against the back wall too.  

Year 2000 was the year I lost my Mom.  Dad and I found our garage coming from the cemetery as it is situated next door.  We purchased the 6080 sq ft building as soon as we could.   With all that space I could do a frame  off restoration on the 65.  In my mind, this project would determine if I was any good at restoration and if I would do more.  Maybe not :)

So the car came apart.  So Many Parts!  20 years of collecting more - 3 cars worth of parts from MO, 1 from Chicago, 1 from PA, 1 from Michigan, Engines, 3.91 rear ends, 4-note horns, am/fm treasures from far and wide.

First off came the body..

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

• Like 2

I am good at collecting parts, but finishing the job has been challenging for every project.

1) Super X-Code intake manifold

2) the state of the trim situation- when I had the ss polished in 2005 I had accidentally sent 2 rh qtr belt moldings.

Found a pair to polish next round. Drip rail and window opening seals in.

3) goodies from the stash for windows and doors.

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

65222480442__9A814AC8-2827-46E7-98CF-D0E9BE0A1811.jpeg

Loaded for the trip to Columbus for attention.  

I stopped by the upholstery shop to visit the seats that have been done for 8 years.  I've my own shelf unit there...seats look excellent in the red Madrid Grain Vinyl reproductions from PUI.  He has the door panels and everything but the headliner/visors.  Steve and I will have the car running and ready for Darrin to concentrate on headliner, seats and door panels next year.

All fur now, Wildcatters!

Ted

IMG_3823.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A lot of work going into this job!  I have Steve H doing the heavy lifting aka installing door hardware, windows, painting and redoing the front and rear glass.  Gaps were all wrong due to incorrect sealant dimension, plus we needed to paint these areas for the interior color change.

Vent windows are a pain, here they are fixed...this is where I stopped 10 years ago.   

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

• Like 2

Don't mind that stick in there...Tremec is in for test fitting and hydraulic clutch installation.  I fabbed up the clutch pedal and hydraulic cylinder a while back.  The little reservoir is getting painted black.

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interior color change - in 65 the option for red interior in a coupe was limited to the Deluxe line- bench seat only.  

This is my dream car, so we are doing a one of(?) Custom Bucket seat interior in Red.  The reproduction Custom interior

parts have been at the trim shop for a few years now.  Trim shop will be the last stop after we get this running. 

Pictures show areas that had to be re painted for the color change.

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

• Like 2

I got the wiring harness out to repair the crusty connections and just get familiar again with all that is going on there.

Test fitted some parts, looked for fasteners...scavenged spare harnesses for connectors and wire bits.  Not much to show.

I did find the 200 Kph speedo that Jukka sent me :)

IMG_4128.jpeg

• Like 3

Yesterday was sorting spaghetti day.  Trying to assemble all the wire harness and attach with original style fasteners.

I swear they hide from me the day I need them.  Had to get a new soldering gun - made me realize how long I've had the old one.

It would not melt butter.  New one much needed.  I had to harvest wires and connectors from 3 parts harnesses.   

IMG_4160.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Engine for this car was built and tested on a dynomometer a few years ago.  I borrowed it to make my 64 Wagon run, which it did very well!

But back to its original purpose- motivation for the 65.  Getting it out, cleaned and re dresssed for the 5-speed application in the next few weeks.

Here it is freshly plucked from the KX wagon, the 2 engines before the dyno, the X-code manifold that is going on the engine :)

IMG_4430.jpeg

2010-10-31204402_zpsec6d9be9.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

• Like 6

Engine is only a few feet away from the engine bay again.  One of the modifications is visible here...TA Performance shorty headers.

The Tremec requires a needle bearing pilot instead of the bronze bushing I got from Carmen.  I have to have a bushing fabricated that will 

house the needle bearing.  Then we can bolt up the billet flywheel, clutch assembly and get it together for the bleeding of the hydraulic clutch.

I can share that this is a critical point as there is little access to the hydraulic throw out bearing inside the bell housing once it is together.

Happy new year!

20220103_163013.jpg

20220103_163651.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plumbing- Fuel-radiator/heater core-exhaust-brake bleeding-hydraulic clutch...so many connections.

Ordered long case ultra flow welded mufflers.  Battery cables came but starter wire not in stock so we will clean up the old one temporarily.

I was hoping to get up to the shop yesterday but had to cancel, so the bespoke and curated parts I've been collecting will have to wait a week.

Happiness will be January in my rear view mirror! 

20220128_170716.jpg

• Like 5

Steve H picked this up yesterday and it it in the Wildcat already!  Now you can see the Radio Delete goodness.

Darwin Falk had this thing on eBay - had to grab it.  When I had the car painted we used a front fender without an antenna hole...and 

there is little chance of me cutting through the rear qtr to put one in.  So Delete!

About 20 years ago I was visualizing this project and had toyed with the idea of 2 antennas raked back off the rear quarters.  Not yet, but this Impala does look wicked cool with dual antennas.

20220202_135258.jpeg

79162853.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These are hard to find in great condition.  I had this one apart, repainted the red and black, put back together yesterday.

Also getting the parking brake hardware ready.  I tried to get the chrome paint back into the antlers but up close one can see my skill level is not up to the task.  from 5 ft it looks fine :)

IMG_4669.jpeg.ba22f74f5be0457c0aef50dc4309a9a4.jpeg

IMG_4668 (1).jpeg

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...