Project 65 Wildcat Coupe - Assembly

Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting on a spacer for the hydraulic clutch throw out bearing.  This is a new one- there is "no gap" between the bearing and the clutch fingers.

They stay in contact while running.  So we had to find a vendor that had the proper bit and guess (educated) at the depth.  Transmission is out waiting.

I need this to get running.  Patience is a virtue but I don't have much time!

Going to start another project that jumped in line.  Cheers!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pretty pleased with finding this wheel recently.  Advert on the Facebook, Canada poster... decent price...natch!

The wheel was good but I had a little better one in inventory.  Shined and viola!  The center button in particular is

super hard to find.  Here, for the first time, my vision of the red dash and wood wheel!  Calling interior guy today.

20220519_160848.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

Pretty pleased with finding this wheel recently.  Advert on the Facebook, Canada poster... decent price...natch!

The wheel was good but I had a little better one in inventory.  Shined and viola!  The center button in particular is

super hard to find.  Here, for the first time, my vision of the red dash and wood wheel!  Calling interior guy today.

20220519_160848.jpg

That wheel looks awesome. I have that steering wheel on my '65 Riviera, and it's in pretty good shape as far as no cracks and such, but the surface seems to be losing what looks like a clear coat or lamination of some sort that gives it it's shine. Any way to redo that without having to send it off?

Mark - I have been lucky to find ones that are still in this shape.  I just sold 2 bare wheels off last week 

-one of them was as you describe, like the sheen was gone and it had shrunk a little so the ring around the perimeter was loose.

These are something that I might send off.  Thanks, 

• Like 1

Glass is in!  Rear package shelf is in!  I got word the my upholstery guy is ready to receive the car.

His name is Cutter..Darrin Cutter.  Great name for an upholstery guy :)

Most of his work is on very top end custom cars.  He is an artist with attention to detail the stock interiors never get.

20220526_165807.jpg

• Like 6

Much excitement as the finish line edges closer... As unplanned, the turn signal switch (tilt one on lower steering column)

interfered with the clutch pedal movement so that had to be rotated around the steering column.  Tight fit in there.

If all is well it will go to the exhaust shop later this week.  Then back here and to the trim shop!  

Car can move and stop under its own power now.  So close.

20220601_165847.jpg

20220601_170026.jpg

20220601_170116.jpg

20220601_170255.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vendor Blues...not too bad,  but perfection would need carpet matching the door panels...PUI made the interior stuff so 

I called them... they are not allowed to sell carpet as there is a shortage and they need all they get for other things.

The one I purchased off ebay is the wrong weave. Not a terrible mismatch but need perfection.

They do have the vinyl needed for the rear arm rests.  I will order that and the extra yardage needed for other projects.

SMS has a separate item for sail panels that I forgot(?) to order.  They said they could get that out right away.

Other orders I have with them are "a long way out".   Ahh first world problems!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, the interior looks so good Ted.  I think the interior of the car is the area that is really satisfying when you get it all done.  I'm redoing my 56 Super and man what a difference it makes in how the car feels when you get in.  

Did SMS do your door skins?

• Like 2

PUI is the vendor for 65 Wildcat seats and door panels.  I had all the patterns for PUI; they copied my old ones and

they have sold them for the last 10 years.  Their "thank you" was a black custom coupe interior and bench seat convertible set.

Not bad but my convertible seat was red!  I have to recover a brand new seat with the red.

https://rpui.com/-Interior-1965-Buick-Wildcat-Custom-White-Front-Bucket-Seat-Covers-65USWC37U

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well this is a "one of none" since the Custom Bucket interior was not an option in red for 65 Coupes!

Plus I put a 5-speed in to replace an automatic.  Modified class for sure.

Unfortunately the Daily Production Sheet summary tallies the number of 4-speeds and color options separately  as well.

We can see some option combinations in the data like engine + transmission and power accessories.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

Well this is a "one of none" since the Custom Bucket interior was not an option in red for 65 Coupes!

Plus I put a 5-speed in to replace an automatic.  Modified class for sure.

Unfortunately the Daily Production Sheet summary tallies the number of 4-speeds and color options separately  as well.

We can see some option combinations in the data like engine + transmission and power accessories.

What an awesome project you have done, Ted!  Is it possible that a red or other interior color could have been done at the factory as a special order such as what Cadillac did?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...