1954 Chevrolet Corvette

That is if you have a vivid imagination.  No, I cannot imagine how I could profit from this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194305309957?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337615457&customid=472015&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

54-corvette-side-e1629916684747-630x390.jpg

54-corvette-rear-630x390.jpg

Can't help but wonder who the 35 bidders are who got it all the way up to $1625 at this point. Shills?

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

"with original factory VIN tag"

This is what's for sale along with a clean registration, so it's pretty saleable to a lot of people out there.

I know the seller.  He's helping the widow of a friend who was an avid collector of Corvettes and Corvette parts.  He left a mountain of stuff that needs to be gone through, sorted and sold.  My friend has been doing this for more than a year without compensation to help her out.  Great guy.

Knowing how easily this can happen, I'm trying to lean out my (much smaller) collection of cars and related "stuff' as well so as not burden my wife when it's my turn for the dirt nap.

Im sure there is a market amongst the Corvette crowd, BUT wasnt the 54 a fairly limited production run? What good does a clean registration and vin do? I have seen a 69 Trans Am with vin and title for sale that wasnt much better condition than this. I would surmise an unscrupulous person could have bought that and transplanted onto a regular production 1969 Firebird (Less than 700  1969 t/a's made compared to lots of firebirds). Viola! you have a much rarer car. Same could be said for lots of other hard to come by cars, But what would one transplant this vin to besides another 54 vette?

Bidding is up to $2700 with 34 minutes left. The front section doesnt look like it belongs to the rear, it's just placed that way in the pic. Just a random detached vin plate, who knows what it came off of. Could be a junkyard sale and the owner has a dealer's license, he can easily register it. His ebay account looks like a scam. He has a feedback score over 800 but when you search his completed listings, nothing shows up. 126 positive feedbacks but none show.

Screenshot_20210829-190709_eBay.jpg

Edited by supercub (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Well, for instance, this could be used to clean up a car with a state issued VIN or to make another pile of parts a legitimate car.

I get that idea, but in all honesty how many '54 vettes can there be out there that would need a new vin, or are a pile of parts without a title? I would surmise few to none. But all it takes is one!  And if its to 'clean up a vin', how clean would it actually be?

On 8/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, GregLaR said:

Exactly correct.

It only takes one guy and $3,500 would be we cheap to make your car right.

I do know of a guy who had a 54 Corvette that was under restoration at a shop and the VIN tag went missing over the 3 years it was there.

I'm sure if he still had the car he would have been bidding on this. That was 30 years ago and I don't know what happened to the car, but whoever has it now maybe was the winning bidder!