1950 Buick Estate Wagon - Who Makes Mufflers

Kartman01

I am currently using a muffler I purchased new at Waldron's and while it is a step up from the one that came on the car, it is still very loud.

My questions are:

- Is there anyplace that might have an NOS muffler for a 1950 Buick Super for sale?

- Failing that, who is making re-pop 1950 Buick mufflers? Apparently there is a company in Canada making them (I don't know the name of the company) - is there anyone else out there making them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

www.waldronexhaust.com----ph 1800 503 9428 or269 467 7185.

I have no association with them---or have purchased from them,

but i do no they have advertised since   1960.  found ----.in hemmings.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You can try looking at Walker's online catalog for a muffler that would fit your requirements.  If you find one, you should be able to order it through your local NAPA store.

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/light-vehicle/mufflers-muffler-assemblies.html

Universal muffler catalog search: https://www.walkerexhaust.com/universal-muffler-search.html

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

https://martinjohnsonvintageexhaust.com

OK everybody, now that he has a website go ahead and save the link so that I don't have to post it over and over again :D.

This is the only good choice for pipes and mufflers.  Mufflers for my 55's from him have been old stock made when the cars were contemporary.  Tail pipes for my cars are over size and can be made on 2 pieces or in my case he sent the bend specs so that a local shop could make one (turned out that the locals could not read a bend card anyhow).

And for those frugal individuals out there, he has the best prices.

• Like 2

I have had trouble finding mufflers (exhaust systems) to please me. Waldrons was too loud for my '60 Electra and I rep[laced it with an NOS one. My '86 convertible also has an NOS muffler after tossing 2 aftermarket ones.

I plan to repair the quiet ones I have if they get loud in the future. It is something the Silver Cloud guys have been doing for years and I should have followed suit sooner.

In your instance I would open up the noisy muffler and line it with the sound absorbent mat that is readily available. Either your new one or the old one if you still have it. Then weld it closed again.

Your tailpipe size is important as well. Most factory pipes are 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". Some even have an oval tip. Going 2" or larger all the way through will keep it from being silent. And silent is my goal.

You might get some kickback about back pressure but if you aren't racing or running in the high RPM ranges it wouldn't be a concern. Since they started putting tachometers in cars I haven't noticed my cars exceeding 3500 RPM very often. And the times mine goes over 4000 I feel like I should be waving my ten gallon hat out the window yelling "Ya Hoo!"

• Like 1