1929 or 1930 Coupe needs new owner

flackmaster

Coming to market (yes, as soon as I can get some  pictures) is a 29 or 30 Coupe.  Location - Utica, NY.   The most interesting feature is that is has the "New York City" headlights, independently mounted as opposed to the characteristic fender mounted lights.  The car is in a dark warehouse, sardined in with several other cars.  Condition is 100% complete, still has black paint, solid unrestored  indoor stored for years.  Engine said to be free and run a few years ago.   I am posting now to at least make contact with potentially interested parties to narrow down what differentiating issues must I determine to clarify and determine a fair price.  This car will be sold in the next few months as the storage building must be vacated.  Timing/Logistics in getting the car out dictate needing to line up a buyer promptly.  Thank you.

I sold one rather recently. Nice runner and driver. Reliable and fun. Good looking. Bracket headlights hurt the value. Pierce guys like fender lights. Depending on condition, especially the wood, prices are soft at best. Thr car in the photos sold for 20k at Hershey. Most likely, unless you car is running and in exceptionally good condition......the number will be lower. Happy to give you an opinion as to value. There are about a dozen or so in existence.

92CDC3E0-97B2-4893-8B6E-6973B473AFA0.png

6E792AC4-7DE4-4B13-B1DB-5164A075BC73.png

67B2D32C-5828-429C-A4F1-7F614E61A5E6.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

I sold one rather recently. Nice runner and driver. Reliable and fun. Good looking. Bracket headlights hurt the value. Pierce guys like fender lights. Depending on condition, especially the wood, prices are soft at best. Thr car in the photos sold for 20k at Hershey. Most likely, unless you car is running and in exceptionally good condition......the number will be lower. Happy to give you an opinion as to value. There are about a dozen or so in existence.

Can you explain the difference between a 29 and a 30?

The "NY City" lights actually look better than the Pierce Lights,  but that is what distinguishes the car from other similar sized cars.

I sat in this one when it was in NE and I really liked it.  Really nice car that I think might have been in Harrahs.   Has sold a few times in that 60-70k range at auction.

1929PierceArrowCoupe.jpg

The green coupe above was a very nice older total restoration. It ran and drove well. The 29 and 30 cars are almost indistinguishable from each other unless you're a Pierce guy for many years. There a a dozen minor mechanical upgrades along the way........carburetors, manifolds, and steering box are big issues that need to be addressed and are EXPENSIVE. Figure 10k on a barn find car to deal with the issues if the car hasn't been upgraded. Once properly serviced and upgraded, they are fantastic drivers.  

Flackmaster.......Looking forward to your photos. I know of two 1929 coupes hiding in your area.....I'm guessing I know and have seen the car. Best, Ed.

Ed - I think you probably have seen this car, not sure when, but the owner and I always stop by the PA tent at Hershey.  I do not speak Pierce, nor do I know the secret PA Society handshake ;)    Of course I recognize the limited market for unrestored money pit projects -   I only hope the next owner gets it to the point of the original car you sold, "they're only original once."   I'd like to pick your brain on his other Pierce's and parts -if you are willing, please PM me your phone number and when would it be convenient to call.  Thank you.

Al - I have always found the separate headlights to make this Pierce that little bit more special.  I would guess there would be a pair of 29-30 fenders out there if one really wanted to make it more "Pierce".

I know both of you are well networked, so I ask you to work any magic you can to help find a new owner, thank you.  As soon as I can get some pictures, I will post.

Thank you, 

David Flack.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flackmaster said:

The most interesting feature is that is has the "New York City" headlights,

Just for the record, there are no such things as "New York City" headlights. 

Bracket headlights were just a Pierce option, plain and simple.  There has never been a law or regulation found that stated fender mounted headlights were "illegal" anywhere.

Then, just as today, there were people who didn't care for the looks of the fender mounted headlights, and thus opted for a more conventional look.

David, I hope you find a good home for the car, I know there are people out there looking for their first Pierce!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that I’m thinking about it, The two 29’s i’m thinking about have fender lights so this must be a different car and it’s one I have not seen. 

Firstly, thank you to all who have expressed interest and advice.  I get that there is a next owner for this car -excellent.   

Couple things, - First, I was unaware that the car had already been moved to "the other building", which simply means it is not within the priority to vacate the building where it was.  Nevertheless, this car is going to be sold soon.  I probably won't have pictures for another two weeks.  Thank you for your patience.  As to the big question, price, let's be honest...Ed posted a very very similar car, unrestored, brought up to running driving condition selling at 20K.  Even with the best of mechanics and a bit of luck, its gonna need a new set of tires, brake, fuel and electrical work.    I'm not putting a price out there yet, I need to see it for myself so I can represent it from more than memory (I haven't seen it in 2 years and even then I wasn't paying much attention). but I'd welcome comments from those in the know ...12-14K??

There’s a decent phaeton on eBay now for cheap money that’s speaking volumes on non running cars.

My car was 15k running and driving albeit not well, and it’s taken almost that much more to get it to the point where I have faith in a full days driving.

Without pictures there’s no way to even guess a value, might be 12, might be more like 8, might be less as the buyers are fewer each year. Good luck with it, but if I had the spare cash I would be looking at the phaeton on eBay…

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

Problem with cars like that.........why was a running and driving car parked and left alone? It’s always a cracked block, a stuck engine, or a tossed rod. It does look like a fun car......but your gonna dump 25-35k in it to make it reliable. And that’s if you do it yourself. Did you ever try and sell a 7 passenger touring car........good luck. It’s not the 70’s anymore.  The recent 5 passenger phaeton that was turn key and running fine went for under 50. And it’s a much better and more desirable car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...