57 Dodge Starter drags

You might inspect all 4 ends of your battery cables to make sure they are clean,  When they heat up perhaps a bad connection causes a voltage drop.  This happened to me once.  It does not cost anything.

• Like 1

You can make sure all the connections are clean but if it still drags when hot it's time for a rebuild after 64 years of service. Electric cranking motors don't last forever. If it were mine I would have it rebuilt just for the peace of mind. 

• Like 1

Those of us old enough to remember" Back in the day," could always tell when a MoPar product  was cranking over,. by the sound of the starter.  It didn't matter if it was a 6 cylinder Plymouth Savoy or the High end Imperial Le  Baron.They all sounded the same.   woop-woop-woop-woop-woop.  "Those were the days "

• Like 2

I might be wrong, as my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't think Chrysler's gear reduction starter with it's distinctive sound existed yet in 1957, and if it did we probably wouldn't be talking about dragging until a very high mileage. I would expect an Autolite starter, and a solenoid relay that looks much like a Ford one, but with different internal wiring.

The most common reason for a dragging starter is worn out bushings allowing the armature to drag. You can usually see tell-tale marks on the armature and pole pieces inside. Since the mileage is low that seems unlikely. Another possibility is the bushings are too tight, but that too is unlikely. They are probably oilite and could use a drop or two of oil after all these years.

I would bet on dirty or corroded connections somewhere rather than the starter itself. When it is straining to crank, pay attention to the cables, battery posts, solenoid relay etc., and see if something is getting hot.

• Like 1