1952 Harley Panhead Captain America Bike sold for $255k

This was one of the 5 Captain America bikes used in the movie 'Easy Rider.'  It is documented with 4 provenances to be the original bike from the movie which was burned in the last scene.  The other 4 Captain America bikes used in the movie were stolen and to date have never surfaced.  The burned carcass was eventually turned over to Dan Haggerty, who restored it to it's operable movie condition.

This documented original bike was expected to bring at least $500k at the auction.  The auctioneer tried opening the bid at $2 million and got no takers, eventually getting an opening bid of $100k.  The final hammer came down at $255k.  It's likely this bike is worth much more than a copy which sold for $1.3m (yes, million,) not too long ago.  Either the market has gone way soft, or the right people weren't aware of the sale.  Again, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time.  But if the new owner is going to flip it, I suspect (s)he will get a return on their investment many-fold.

https://www.proxibid.com/Collector-Cars/Collector-Motorcycles/1952-Harley-Davidson-Captain-America-Crash-Bike-Motorcycle/lotInformation/61691950

0bd88a2ea9961d24cbd9fdc3af15d2938d350bd1.jpg

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• George Cole changed the title to 1952 Harley Panhead Captain America Bike sold for $255k

This bike reminds me of the saying, "all hat and no cattle". In this case, it's all provenance and not much motorcycle. All it's good for is riding in a straight line for as long as you can endure the monkey butt and sore back, which for those of us of a certain age, wouldn't be long at all. 

Of course, if you paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy it you'd be afraid to ride it anyway.

Edited by suchan
spelling (see edit history)

Hard to put a realistic price on a bike like this given it’s reconstructed status.  Even as a person who rode for 40 years it would not be high up on my list to own, would much rather have a documented Steve McQueen Husqvana.

65997D37-41C3-4CA5-846E-67542D1A2BC7.jpeg

Edited by TerryB
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting enough provenance , but I think I can understand why this particular bike didn't ring the bell. 

I don't think this one was originally used for anything more than to be wrecked and blown up in the movie, rather than the onscreen rider used through most of the film.

cap2.jpg.f1f6234b2cb07448c9028244c8a622b4.jpgcap1.jpg.62f04661588b34829c65c40a5415194a.jpg

That being said, how much of the original "blow up bike" was really left?  Parts for these early panheads, as well as every chopper and aftermarket part needed to recreate the same are readily available.  Especially given the time frame of these wrecked parts just laying around for more than a quarter century before being re-assembled.   If I had to guess (and this is only a guess) I'd say maybe 30% (or less) of what sold at auction was actually present in the film.  Anyone in "bike world" would be fully aware of this as well.

I have owned a couple of hard tail choppers similar to this and I can confirm exactly what suchan says; they are fine for bar-hopping but for an all day ride?  Well, you'd look pretty cool but your back would never survive it. :lol:

6 hours ago, TerryB said:

documented Steve McQueen Husqvana

bring a lot of money unfortunately

Ex-Steve McQueen 1952 Chevrolet 3800 Pickup with Camper and Husqvarna CR250

Ex-Steve McQueen 1952 Chevrolet 3800 Pickup with Camper and Husqvarna CR250

SOLD FOR $99,998 ON 9/4/20

McQueen used to actually ride with Malcolm Smith. That's impressive. It's in the comments:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1952-chevrolet-pickup-9/