New Keys

Rlasker3

I was able to obtain my grandfather's old 1949 Chrysler Windsor (I posted about it here). It has been in a garage for at least 46 years. Unfortunately none of my relatives know where the keys to the car are. What are the steps I need to have new keys made?

They are a simple 5 pin Yale lock, a good locksmith can make new keys. To make it easy, you can remove the door lock by pulling out a flat metal keeper in the back edge of the door and pop out the lock, also remove the glove compartment lock or trunk lock (glove compartment is easier).

Door and ignition use one key, trunk and glove compartment use another. If there is a very old locksmith in your town they may have the correct key blanks, or they should be available online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

They are a simple 5 pin Yale lock, a good locksmith can make new keys. To make it easy, you can remove the door lock by pulling out a flat metal keeper in the back edge of the door and pop out the lock, also remove the glove compartment lock or trunk lock (glove compartment is easier).

Door and ignition use one key, trunk and glove compartment use another. If there is a very old locksmith in your town they may have the correct key blanks, or they should be available online.

Thank you so much for the information.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, rocketraider said:

Next ?? there are 60s GM, 60s Chrysler and 60s Ford keys on that ring. Do any of them fit the car? 😺

I tried just about all the keys before figuring out the ones that worked. I will assume all those other keys were to cars my grandfather previously owned. He might have kept them as keepsakes. 

Also, that is cool that you can recognize that by sight. Impressive.