1920 Wheel bearings

rjp

Roger, 

When I did my 1925 Buick Standard, I was able to make an adapter ring that would hold a replacement outer roller bearing.  For the inner bearing, the factory ball bearing has extra metal to create a place for the inner grease seal to ride.  The inner bearing would need 2 adapters made (One for the bearing and one for the cone.) if you wanted to use roller bearings.  Due to the additional complexity of the inner bearings, I did some mixing and matching of bearing races and ball cages until I was able to make two good sets from original bearings.  McMaster Carr sells ball bearings, so as long as the races are still good, you may be able to refurbish the inners. 

Attached is what the Standard outer adapter looks like.   Note also in green using my bearing adapter as an example.  The OEM bearing number as a unit if 909003.  You can find this bearing in the bearing chart.  It comprises of 3 parts (909503, 909703, and 909603).  So for my outer bearing, if you know the individual part numbers, replace the third digit from the end with 0 and that gives you the assembly part number.  Not sure if that will work for your bearing.  Maybe you just need to verify against the dimensions in the chart to obtain a bearing number.  

Hugh

935678745_Frontwheelouterbearingspacer909003Buick22-28Standardrev2.thumb.JPG.7e25b89be15d030ce13f058666697b22.JPG354308247_FrontwheelBearings1.thumb.jpg.8b94673f675013aa8ca5fe458b35bcf2.jpg313976117_FrontwheelBearingdimensions.thumb.JPG.eddc92b1b72c5167115a89173ed0b236.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Norm, 

Thanks for this. The next page (page 95).  I did not have.  This is the cross reference of the part numbers to the assemblies.  The Buick Book of parts has the part numbers but not the assembly numbers.  Sometimes these bearing show up as assemblies on Ebay and in internet searches.       Hugh

image.thumb.png.61e93dc76b9976a639e0dc6597ef5c80.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the bearing from my junk chassis fit beyond the 17/18 D454s.  Strange outer race with a large radius on the outer race.  See the attached photo.

The nice thing is that the bearing can be disassembled for cleaning or ball replacement.

Bob Engle

17 front wheel bearings.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by the other side.  They are a pair of outer wheel bearings.  The one on the right with the radius goes into the hub The one on the left shows the inner race which would slide onto the spindle.  The inner wheel bearings have the same appearance, just larger.

Bob Engle