Rodney’s 1963 Buick Skylark convertible

rodneybeauchamp

Well as you know 99% of fuel related problems are electrical.

So off to our monthly breakfast in the Skylark as there was little chance of rain and it had not been out for a while. Well part way there it started running terribly so decided to abort and return home. Managed to catch up later with the guys so all good.

Well today I decided to check the fuel system so replaced the fuel filter and checked the pump for flow. Took out the pressure regulator expecting it to be full of rubbish but super clean. Again checked the flow so all good. Hmm 🤔🤔

Took the distributor cap off and had Jo crank to confirm the points were opening. They were but there was a lot of sparking that I didn’t think was right. A closer look revealed the condenser wire had come out of its place where it should be clipped in alongside the other wire. 

The nylon bush seemed a little weak so changed it out for another I had. Also opened up the leg of the terminal to reduce the tendency to pop out. 

Started it up and away it went, just as it always has. What stumped me was electrical problems usually mean it won’t run but this would run but run poorly with any throttle position. Will take it for a run tomorrow and Saturday to satisfy myself all is good. No pictures today 😀😀😀

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 3

Well all is sweet. Ran nicely all the way to Goolwa and back for coffee this morning. Coolish overcast day but still had the top down. Heater kept us cosy.

No stumble, miss or hesitation at all! Nice to find a simple problem and fix it. Speedo just rolled over to 69,000 on the journey back home. Just this photo.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6205.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, some great news!  My Mr Happy is sold and going to a new owner Kevin. Took it for a test run on Sunday afternoon and it ran smoothly and quietly as it should. Kevin is super happy and looking forward to when I deliver it this Sunday coming.

This blog in Me and My Buick was a contributing factor to the sale as he could see what has been done under my ownership complete with photos. I hope he also starts his own blog on this forum as I will be keen to follow his progress.

In the meantime you will have to wait for my next posting when my next Buick lands in Australia. And as a sneak peak …… Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_5993.png

• Like 4

Well, Sunday was a day of mixed feelings.

Sad to see the Skylark leave but happy that it is going to a new owner who will care for it. No doubt with Kevin’s ability and automotive background it will be in good hands and wish him well with Mr Happy.

Delivered to his doorstep on a cold and drizzly Sunday afternoon and got to ride back home in a friends 2002 five series BMW.

Below is the happy new owner Kevin with friend Pauline and my chauffeur Max in the background.

Hoping we keep in touch with Kevin.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6215.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s having a little holiday. Going from port of Houston to port of Kingston UK (London) then transferred to another ship to sail to the port of Adelaide, South Australia. Arrives 31st August. Once cleared I can collect and drive it about 45miles to home. My calculations says it will have travelled more miles by sea than the 10,800 on land. Shipper is keeping me posted with updates. Photos so far.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6241.png

IMG_6239.png

IMG_6238.png

IMG_6240.png

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 9:20 PM, EmTee said:

Kevin is lucky to have found such a well-sorted Skylark!  So, when is the new 'baby' expected to arrive...?  :huh:

And hopefully Kevin will stay in touch. Am sure I can offer some help and guidance on other things as they arise.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• 2 months later...

We were on a club outing on Sunday and got Jo to take these. We had our VW Eos with top down and no Buick yet but both Kevin (sitting in the Skylark) and Roger (speaking to him owns the Riviera) bought theirs. Was a great event with a big number of very nice cars, these the only Buicks!

Nice to see both Buicks out and about and Kevin is on the path to keep sorting the convertible!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6371.png

IMG_6370.png

IMG_6369.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

And at last, the rear end is now complete!

Kevin has added the finishing touches to the rear by adding those two elusive mouldings that I struggled to find under my ownership. Interestingly it was Roger, the new custodian of my ‘63 Riviera who located them and got them sent down under for a very economical sum.

Caught up with Kevin and the Skylark convertible at our club’s small display in support of Coast FM, the local radio station who supports our major All American Day car show. The Skylark certainly garnered a lot of attention and he was a busy boy all morning answering questions and showing it off!

Photos or it never happened!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

IMG_2631.jpeg

• Like 2