Ruppert Beer Brewery First Delivery Truck

George Cole

Another long story, so I won't go into much of the details, other than I've been working on genealogy for over 20 years.  My ancestors opened the A. Finck & Son's Brewery in Manhattan.  My g-g-g-grandfather was married to Louise Schaefer, believed to be sister to Fredrick & Maximilian Schaefer, who opened their brewery in the Bronx.  The Ruppert Brewery (Knickerbocker beer,) also opened in Manhattan.  Their family is also believed to be related during the same generation but so far we haven't found the link.  My late elders used to have permanent box seats in Yankee Stadium, (owned by Colonel Jacob Ruppert), claiming they were from Uncle Jake.  My g-g-g-grandfather & his wife Louise, Phillip Schaefer (father of F. & M. Schaefer, and Jacob Ruppert Sr. are all buried beneath the same 6-sided monument in Green-Wood Cemetery, Bronx.  Supposedly all families shared the cost of the monument, with approximately 150 burial sites surrounding it.  I own a shared deed to multiple remaining plots, passed down through generations.  (I've got a list of names of those who I'd like to bury there.)  And for what it's worth, the Finck Brewery closed in 1911 after one of their most productive years, brewing over 50,000 barrels.  No one knows what became of the amassed fortune, as none of it was passed to any known descendants.  There is much, much more to the story.  This is the Reader's Digest version.

So as part of the research, I've been trying to determine when the Finck Brewery switched from horse-drawn wagons to motorized transportation of their beer.  The picture shown above is the Ruppert Brewery's first motorized delivery vehicle.  I would love to find similar pictures of the Finck and Schaefer Breweries, but so far no luck.

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Hate to say it George but it’s probably electric judging by the load it is carrying.  Lots of low speed torque from electric motors similar to those used in trolleys.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not against electric vehicles...unless I feel they're being shoved down my throat with bogus claims of their superiority.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, George Cole said:

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not against electric vehicles...unless I feel they're being shoved down my throat with bogus claims of their superiority.

I hear ya George, I don’t preach superiority, more of wow that’s incredible from a technology standpoint from my electrical/electronics studies and years of technology based employment ( and the fact my kid is an engineer for Tesla doesn’t hurt either😀).  You choose whatever you like.

P.S.  I can get you a good deal on a Tesla t-shirt or hat if you ever decide you want one.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

OP has a lot of similarities with the Hemmings truck, take away the enclosed cab and forward platform.

Great Story George. I will have to pick your brain about it someday.

There's lots more to it. Way too much to cover here. And we're still working on it, although most leads and sources have been exhausted, dried up or died.

• Like 1

This isn't the same exact model as in the photo, but could be from the same company, just a different model year: 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 9:47 PM, Craig Gillingham said:

I believe this is it; a 5 Ton General Vehicle Company truck from 1911.

trucks_national_electric_xxtrucks_1911GV

Thank you very much.  I used this to find the original article with the second page.  The magazine it came from was dated 1911.  I forwarded the entire article to a descendant of the Ruppert Brewery.  He replied that it was a wonderful find.  He said he had been searching for years for this information, as his beer-brewer grandfather, Colonel Jacob Ruppert, (1867-1939) told him they had a fleet of electric delivery trucks but they were slower than fermenting beer.  George

• Like 1