For Sale: 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster Vintage Convertible - Project - $8,500 - Not Mine

For Sale: 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster Vintage Convertible - Project - $8,500

1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster Vintage Convertible - Project - cars &... (craigslist.org)

Ultra-Rare 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster (Split Side Windows).  Exceptionally rare, as it is one of the last American roadsters ever made. Only about 400 were estimated to have been produced with the optional Split Side removable Widows.   Has many rare performance related parts that will come with it: (Peterson Cast Iron Headers, Powder coated Offenhauser Dual Carb Manifold, dual powered coated finned aluminum air cleaners, Performance Mufflers, Solid State ignition, etc.)
Comes with huge number of new parts and extra accessories, convertible top (blue cloth), Thrush mufflers, complete cloth wiring harness, rebuilt starter, rebuilt generator, repair manual, and a lot of dress up items: stainless steel hose covers, chrome exhaust tips, red see through fuel lines, lots of finned aluminum covers that have been powder coated.
The convertible top frame is made of aluminum and has been stripped, polished and clear coated. Most of the bright work is stainless steel instead of chrome. It comes with two sets of hubcaps, the original stainless steel and repro chrome. The brass toped radiator was stripped, polished and clear coated. Many of the parts on the car where powder coated.
Interior was done in “Ultra Leather” which is a premium polyurethane faux leather fabric. The side panels use “Ultra Leather” and have vinyl kick plates.
230 cu. in. L-head inline six-cylinder engine. The car has a three-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 115".

The car is a project and is being sold “AS-IS”, it was running about 23 years ago and has been garaged ever since. It may still run, or the engine might have to be rebuilt. During the restoration project that was started everything was stripped to bare metal this included all removable parts. The only thing that wasn’t stripped was the firewall, it was primed and painted. There were several areas that had rust (both sides right in front of the rear wheels, and two sections on the front floor boards in both the driver and passenger sides. Everything was replaced with metal and was welded. The car also had a very small amount of factory leading. There is small bondo patch on the passenger side floor in the corner off the floor pan. This might have to be redone.

Problems: Small ding in passenger side rear fender, several areas with small paint chips, there is some bubbling in several areas – not sure if this is rust or water in the line when painted. Also two of the driver’s side lug bolts are broken (Dodge used reverse threads on the driver side – there are replacements with all the parts). Rims are original and leak air over time - would suggest replacing them with newer rims. Passenger side front fender needs to be attached at the bottom and aligned, rear bumper is currently off the car.   Reason for selling: Preparing to move overseas.

Copy and paste in your email:  1cf0030d586b332badc913429f6c5a07@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this For Sale: 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster Convertible - Project

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR a.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR b.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR c.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR d.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR e.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR f.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR g.jpg

'49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster OR h.jpg

• Like 1

@JACK MI think it has your name on it. I vividly recall hearing the rumble of a pair of Fenton headers through glass packs on a 1949 Plymouth convertible when I was a kid.  A beautiful sound!  I never forgot.  I have a pair of Phillips Performance headers like this - don’t think he made them for more than a few years about a decade ago.

...I think this car might be a fair amount of work.  Body, paint, engine, top.  ...but fun to use along the way.  

Wow, I had no idea that there were aftermarket performance components for flathead six Mopars. As the owner said, "rare"...and I'm guessing valuable, too. Oh, and very cool, as well. 😉

I keep learning great stuff on this forum. Wonder how many horses a person could potentially get out of the originally 97 horse Mopar six once the modifications were made?