1964 Buick automatic transmission question

Dynaflash8

I'm looking at a 1964 Buick LeSabre.  The air cleaner says "310".  That tells me the car has the smaller V8 offered, with a 2 bbl carb and a Super Turbine 300 transmission.  I believe the larger Super Turbine 400 was the forerunner name for the later Turbo Hydramatic 400 used in the 1970s and later.  Here is my question: Some of the 340 Buick Skylarks as late as 1967 used a "Power Glide" transmission.  Is that the same as the Super Turbine 300?  Or, is the 300 just a smaller version of the Super Turbine 400?  I have all the books for 1964, but none of the factory literature admits they ever used the Chevy Power Glide in Buick cars.  So, I am confused.  I do not want a Power Glide transmission.  Help.  Earl, BCA #55.  suzybelle39baby@aol.com

No Buick ever used a Powerglide. The ST300 two speed was used from 1964 through the middle of the 1969 model year (until the TH350 was introduced). Other than having two speeds, the ST300 has exactly nothing in common with a Powerglide. The Buick and Olds versions of the ST300 also used a switch pitch torque converter in the 1964-67 model years. The switch pitch converter was a precursor of today's lockup converters - there was a low stall speed setting to minimize slippage in normal driving and a high stall speed setting to improve off the line and passing gear acceleration.

And the ST400 is exactly a TH400, except for the round bellhousing case used behind the nailhead motors. There is no internal parts commonality between the ST300 and ST400/TH400

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joe said it well! ST300 and Powerglide are different animals, just share a shift quadrant.

But the real question is, what's wrong with a Powerglide? Sure, it is not correct for a Buick (or Pontiac, etc) but it is a great transmission. Still a favorite for drag racing. Hit the GO pedal and go. 😄

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Still a favorite for drag racing. Hit the GO pedal and go. 😄

Which doesn't mean it's the best for the street. Yeah, I realize that was intended as a joke, but people frequently think that because a part is used for racing, they need it on their street car. Drag cars have one job, to accelerate from a standing start as quickly as possible. The engine is at wide open throttle the entire time, so part throttle response, passing gear acceleration, gas mileage, and idle quality are irrelevant. When you shift, you're not accelerating, so a two speed trans is "better" than a three speed in that respect. The savvy drag racer selects rear axle ratio and tire diameter to match the power curve of the engine to maximize acceleration. Having an engine with a power peak in the 6000-7000 RPM range makes that easier. Top fuel cars don't even use a trans - they are direct drive and count on the fact that the slicks grow in diameter from centrifugal force to act as a "CVT".

• Like 2

ST 300 Buick-Olds versions are more versatile than a PowerGlide. They are a four range, 2 speed automatic. The stator in 1st and 2nd gear switches from 32 degrees to 52 degrees. Stays at 32 degrees in all operation at light to moderate throttle or also past somewhere over 3,000 at WOT.  Popular in drag racing in the stock classes was to put a Olds switch pitch in a Pontiac Tempest/ LeMans/ GTO. Don't know why Pontiac didn't do it unless they thought the 326 and 389 had enough torque without it.

The only ST 300 I didn't like was the air cooled model for six cylinder cars.

As to the 310 on the air cleaner, this refers to engine torque which can be seen below;