1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster Rebuild Diary

Gunsmoke

Posted (edited)

So I took the plunge this week and after some careful measuring, cut a slot in the new front fender and slipped it over the original fender brace. It fit pretty much as planned, and will just need care in getting alignment correct (parallel to car, level on top, good gaps at tire radius etc. I will have to make some custom clips to weld to inside lower edge of fender to allow carriage bolting to fender brace. I made a trial one today, using one of the originals as a guide. as shown, I plan to recess the clip in the bead, and weld along lower outer edges. The 5/16" bolts fit in slots shown and allow up to 3/8" fore/aft movement.  I will also be putting a similar clip on inner edge of fender opposite this one and will make a drop-down brace to secure it to fender brace, thus holding upper part of fender firmly in place. A brace and similar clip will also be needed at rear of fender attached to chassis frame, distance between frame and fender is about 8.5". May also decide to put a stiffener across rear of fender as they are not especially strong. Will wait to do that once fender is fully in place. Eventually will need to complete the slot cut for the fender with some tapered pieces to match curve of fender, my body man says not a big job.

IMG_9206.JPG

IMG_9203.JPG

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9214.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

IMG_9202.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Those fenders are going to be beautiful on there! I must admit that I am now confused. Is that fender going to turn with the wheel or stay straight when turning the car?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Looks to me that the fender bracket extends from the headlight brace, so won't turn.

Kinda what I see, too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Spent a few hours making fender clips and second brace that will affix to original brace so fender is supported on both lead edges. A lot of trial (and error) to get clips, braces and brackets all in line. Fenders come about 10.75" outside measure and 10.5" inside. Clips either side reduce inside clearance to about 9.75" for a snug fit. Made secondary brace from a running board bracket kicking around, so a bit over engineered, but save me having to weld up something similar. The square holes will eventually have 5/16" carriage bolts, and nuts/washers will be hidden in channel of original brace. Also spent some time getting the slot in fender close for fitting over original brace. Used small wire as shown to get a good feel for how it will look and to make sure opening will fit over end of fender brace. Tomorrow I'll make a pair of clips for the rear brace which will be outrigger type off frame of car. Then weld all four clips to inside of fender. 

IMG_9233.JPG

IMG_9221.JPG

IMG_9216.JPG

IMG_9238.JPG

IMG_9236.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG

IMG_9235.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spent a couple of days on final fit-up of passenger side front "cycle style" fender. Since I had fenders custom made for radius of front wheels, the key fitting parameters were 1. front tip even with front of tire, 2. inner and outer edge of fender level, 3. bead of fender in alignment fore/aft with rear fender bead, and 4. angle of fender set for uniform gap between tire radius fender (aimed for 3/4"). To achieve #4, I had aimed for about 10" ground clearance at back of fender, fitted dimension is 9.75", close enough for me and gap is about 3/4"-1". Front tip is 1/8" shy of front of tire. Fender is level side to side, and bead is in perfect alignment with rear fender bead (pulled a cord as shown to assure alignment.

Had the fender inner clips welded in place earlier in the week (still  need to do a bit of grinding to clean up welds) and completed all the minor adjusting of fit clips and original fender brace and previously made secondary brace. Everything is finally fitted including the 2 carriage bolts holding secondary brace. Next job is to install an outrigger bracket to secure rear of fender and minimize movement up/down and in/out. Space along frame edge is limited by spring saddle stuff and the brake line as shown. The masking tape shows approximate line of fender edge and determined triangular shape needed for a 1/4" plate to secure outrigger. Decided to use some thick wall pipe (actually some old steering shaft), and fillet welded it to the plate. 3-5/16" bolts should prevent fore/aft and up/down movement. Outrigger end sits about 1/2" from edge of fender. Once outrigger is bolted to frame, the pipe will be cut to correct length (about 8.5"), and a 1/8" plate custom made to fit to the end of outrigger and to 2-5/16" carriage bolts on inner fender clip, much like clip mounting elsewhere. I placed a 4th clip on opposite side of fender in this area and may make a stiffener shaped to profile of fender and secured to both clips with the carriage bolts. The sheet metal used to make fenders is not as thick(or strong) as original fenders so figure they can benefit from a stiffener.  Also spoke to body man and he is ready to complete the rough opening at fender brace. 

As you might expect, custom designing/ making/fitting fenders like these is a time consuming effort and needs lots of patience. I'm hoping the driver-side fender will go much quicker.

IMG_9252.JPG

IMG_9241.JPG

IMG_9242.JPG

IMG_9243.JPG

IMG_9244.JPG

IMG_9246.JPG

IMG_9247.JPG

IMG_9249.JPG

IMG_9254.JPG

IMG_9257.JPG

• Like 1

Yes K31, current plan is the body man will be cleaning those up with tapered pieces some weld, smoothing etc (about $100-$200 per fender?). However, I am considering doing it myself by cutting that rectangular piece off neatly, and making a special piece in that 3 sided tapered shape with rolled end edges and  with a 1/2" flange to go under edges of opening, and neatly rivet the piece in place like some old school racing details. Who knows, may still do that. It will be obvious to anyone that this is a custom fender job, so a riveted solution should be just fine, and cost to me will be $0! I enjoy doing my own work wherever possible for both economy and satisfaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulled the CD8 out into the sunlight today, first time in about 3 years. Primary reason was to turn car around to face outward as I proceed with driver front fender next. My 2 year old grandson Ted of course needed to do an inspection and gave it the thumbs up. Proportions of "style fender" look about as I envisaged. Note they are drooping about 1" lower at rear than they will be when finished, as I have not secured rear brace yet. Still lots of work to do, but a long way from where I started 9 years ago!

IMG_9258.JPG

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9265.JPG

IMG_9266.JPG

IMG_9272.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG