new - old photo car

35cz8

Hello everyone,

My granddaughter found an old photo of a car and got it for me.  She knows how I enjoy old cars.  Anyway, this is a bit older than I know about but would like to know if anyone can tell me what it is.  Thanks.

Scanooop.jpg

An interesting Flint, Michigan connection  between that 1920 Chevrolet in the OP's photograph and my "1920 Dort?" guess: Both cars were not only cross-pollinated, cross-town cousins, but both owed their existence's to William ("Billy") Durant's scattershot automotive endeavors. Durant founded the Chevrolet Motor Co in 1911, and The Dort Motor Car Co. in 1915.  Unfortunately, Dort ended production in 1924, but Chevrolet is still cranking out cars and trucks. Some of them ( 3/4 ton trucks) are still being assembled at the Truck Plant in Flint.

On a personal note, when these cars were being built in Flint in 1920, my 25 year old grandfather was racking up his 9th year of employment at ANOTHER  one of Durant's Flint-based business ventures, The Buick Motor Co. At that point in time, he only had another 40 years to go until his retirement!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, dustycrusty said:

An interesting Flint, Michigan connection  between that 1920 Chevrolet in the OP's photograph and my "1920 Dort?" guess: Both cars were not only cross-pollinated, cross-town cousins, but both owed their existence's to William ("Billy") Durant's scattershot automotive endeavors. Durant founded the Chevrolet Motor Co in 1911, and The Dort Motor Car Co. in 1915.  Unfortunately, Dort ended production in 1924, but Chevrolet is still cranking out cars and trucks. Some of them ( 3/4 ton trucks) are still being assembled at the Truck Plant in Flint.

On a personal note, when these cars were being built in Flint in 1920, my 25 year old grandfather was racking up his 9th year of employment at ANOTHER  one of Durant's Flint-based business ventures, The Buick Motor Co. At that point in time, he only had another 40 years to go until his retirement!

He might have known my wife's grandfather.  He started working at The Buick in 1913 we think or 1914. He retired in the 1960's.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)