Christmas came early !

STEVE POLLARD

After searching for 5 years and many post in the Want Section here on the forum, the missing passenger side door molding for my '69 Impala SS project has been located !

A friend of mine in South Jersey was able to locate the NOS molding from a acquisition this week of vintage parts ~ Thanks Donny !

Steve

image.thumb.png.c6ddb2d1fbc245c34dddbfbb95c96757.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Hey John,  Donny is the man !! Just about 99% of all the NOS parts that I purchased for the SS came from Donny.... I have to take a ride down to his location in a few weeks, he has been holding a nos gas tank for me since last year.....did you happen to see his new ride ?  

11 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Hey John,  Donny is the man !! Just about 99% of all the NOS parts that I purchased for the SS came from Donny.... I have to take a ride down to his location in a few weeks, he has been holding a nos gas tank for me since last year.....did you happen to see his new ride ?  

The last I saw him was the summer of 2019 at the VCCA Meet in Morgantown PA. He had just picked up a low milage all original Canadian 68. I had spoken with him on the phone a few times in the spring. 

• Like 1

Actually there is tons of NOS trim out there.  Especially side moldings.  The problem is much of it the wrappers have been lost from being handled,  part numbers are often hard to find the application for with part number changes. (even owning a crazy collection of parts books I accumulated in 3-4 year intervals)  On cast pieces the casting numbers don't really do much to help ID,  so it boils down to how does one want to spend their time.   Identifying something that won't or might not sell,  or on the few items they know should sell.  When I finally stopped selling parts on ebay actively I had a bunch of trim that never sold with an opening bid of 10 to 20.00 and it was all NOS.  Still have a bundle of it up the attic along with probably 100 wheel well moldings,  plus a lot I bought across town , that part of it is still in the attic. 

Glad you were able to find what you needed.  Unfortunately it just doesn't sell well enough for most people to bother with it, that's why you don't find much of it for sale. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Actually there is tons of NOS trim out there.  Especially side moldings.  The problem is much of it the wrappers have been lost from being handled,  part numbers are often hard to find the application for with part number changes. (even owning a crazy collection of parts books I accumulated in 3-4 year intervals)  On cast pieces the casting numbers don't really do much to help ID,  so it boils down to how does one want to spend their time.   Identifying something that won't or might not sell,  or on the few items they know should sell.  When I finally stopped selling parts on ebay actively I had a bunch of trim that never sold with an opening bid of 10 to 20.00 and it was all NOS.  Still have a bundle of it up the attic along with probably 100 wheel well moldings,  plus a lot I bought across town , that part of it is still in the attic. 

Glad you were able to find what you needed.  Unfortunately it just doesn't sell well enough for most people to bother with it, that's why you don't find much of it for sale. 

This is true for certain cars, and certain models. 30 Years ago it was hard to find any NOS 2 door hardtop rear quarter moldings for any GM car, it is real hard now. The moldings without wrappers that I have come upon seem to have so much shelf wear that they need to be restored to be useable. 

• Like 1

"what it was like before eBay and the internet. " Was how a lot of the "make do" repairs happened that people complain about today. Once repaired the power brake on an E-type with an inner tube because the bellows was unobtainium. Also a certain Westphalia spent much of its life with a '62 Chevvy coil. Worked fine. Of course that was when a nice E-type went for double what a split-window did: one vs two large.