Rear Axle Assembly Identification

Decided to clean out my barn and discovered a long lost axle assembly. I believe it to be a 1923 set up with disc wheels.

I want to list it for sale but I want an accurate description first. Any experts out there that can help me out? Any identifying numbers I should look for? More photos needed?

Thanks everyone!

Bill

Dodge Axle 1.jpg

Dodge Axle 2.jpg

Dodge Axle 3.jpg

1 hour ago, John McEwan said:

My ‘23 has wing nuts to adjust the brakes. I reckon yours is ‘24 +

That's a start John! I dated it a 1923 because it came with an engine with primer cups. The date on the engine was 1924 but everyone stated that 1923 was the last year for primer cups on the head.

Thanks for your reply!

I still have that engine somewhere...........

• 2 weeks later...

'23 and earlier after 1916, driveshaft is 2" shorter. '27 got a splined driveshaft and there are 2 different lengths for '27. '27 also has some odd "flats" on both housing tubes that I have no idea what they were intended for. '24 and earlier had the arm that sticks out the back pretty much straight back. Somewhere around '25 they dropped those down at an angle like yours. I would say it is '25-'26 and not '27.

On 11/2/2020 at 4:41 PM, dwollam said:

'23 and earlier after 1916, driveshaft is 2" shorter. '27 got a splined driveshaft and there are 2 different lengths for '27. '27 also has some odd "flats" on both housing tubes that I have no idea what they were intended for. '24 and earlier had the arm that sticks out the back pretty much straight back. Somewhere around '25 they dropped those down at an angle like yours. I would say it is '25-'26 and not '27.

Hello Dave!

I'm glad you chimed in. I have a 1927 Rear that I haven't checked yet (Laziness) and will take some photos. I am also going thru some DB owners info manuals and seeing what differences there are. Mine has the coned drums that 24' thru 27 have. I will confirm the splined drive shaft. I will also look into the arm that sticks out. Do you have photos of this "Arm"?

Nice to hear from you!

Bill