Top pulldown motor carbon brushes

mytc05

So, the brushes in my top pull down motor broke when I opened the motor and closed it back up. The carbon broke off the end of the wires. It looks like a fairly easy replacement to just remove these and put new brushes on. Anyone know where to buy the correct replacement brushes for this top pulldown motor? I noticed it says 318A on the part that clips the end of the wire on to the terminal.

Edited by mytc05 (see edit history)

• mytc05 changed the title to Top pulldown motor carbon brushes
16 hours ago, mytc05 said:

So, the brushes in my top pull down motor broke when I opened the motor and closed it back up. The carbon broke off the end of the wires. It looks like a fairly easy replacement to just remove these and put new brushes on. Anyone know where to buy the correct replacement brushes for this top pulldown motor? I noticed it says 318A on the part that clips the end of the wire on to the terminal.

I would suggest you carry the old motor into a Buick or Cadillac dealer as a sample and see if they still have the trunk pulldown motors available.

There are those who Po-Po that idea, but I have done many repairs with their parts since they whole system is a Delco in the first place.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new motor if at all possible since the motor was working fine before I damaged the brushes. I would assume replacing the brushes would be cheap if I can just figure out where to get them. Has anyone on here done this before? I know some people have mentioned rebuilding theirs or possibly doing it for others. It's a simple enough fix if I can just find the right brushes to pop in the motor I have that works otherwise.

I guess the trick would be to get someone to give you an old motor they don't want any more. When repairing these pull-down assemblies, I am not aware of anyone replacing the brushes in the motors. Replacing the motor is the prescribed method if the motor is inoperable. You have to consider the liability involved if someone was to try to replace the brushes rather than the entire motor. You found out how easy it is to mess up the brushes, which were likely not necessary to disturb.

• Like 1