Fuel guage question. Electrical

john hess

Whats going on here ?.... 53 pontiac fuel guage reads full when key off. Start engine, reads proper... Added fuel... Restarted engine and guage shows additional fuel... Stop engine, guage goes to full.. Key on registers ok.... History... Tank removed and cleaned. New sending unit installed. Tank has not been completely full for some time as restoration continues, so not much sloshing of gas in tank... Probably 2 years... Any ideas on this ?     Thanks in advance, John

Tank initially has 2 gallons in it. Reads 1/8 full... Ok, then key off.. reads full... ?? Add 5 gallons, key on, reads about 1/3. .. key off, goes to full... Key back on, reads 1/3..... Not even drinkin today !!! Just doesnt figure in my brain... No other car or truck I ever had, did this..... Guess I do need a beer, then move on..... John

• Like 1

I have never heard of any car fuel gauge set up to operate like that but I know nothing about 1953 Pontiacs. Does the sending unit have 1 or 2 wires? Perhaps if it has two wires, if you switched the wires, it would go to empty when off like I feel fairly confident it should do? 

My initial thought would be to double check to make sure that you don't have the ground wire hooked to the gauge wire and the sending unit wire grounded. That is the only way that I can imagine the gauge operating how you are describing. 

14 hours ago, john hess said:

One wire only on sending unit... Grounded through tank straps to frame.... Also have jumper from sending unit screw to frame... Confused, l am.....

I would not feel the ground is adequate.  I ground mine with a 12ga wire from a bolt on the sending unit flange to the frame. 

Ben

I will run a ground wire direct to battery... ThinkIng about this, I should know better.. most electrical issues are ground related. Since the car was separated from frame, epoxy undercoated, frame painted, new rubber body mounts, there are multiple points of failure here..   Lots of time to think about this while driving truck.(my day job)... Thanks to all responses so far... I will post results tonight.... By the way, Im writing rhis as truck is being unloaded !!! .... Jihn

• Like 2