"Clone" definition

MotiveLensPhoto

1 hour ago, padgett said:

"The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. " that seems to leave room for all here. Maybe we need a new thread "for purists only" and keep the General Discussion weeelll general.

Personally am very catholic (small c) in my interests.

You must have a short memory. Try and remember back about six months or so. There was a BUICK guy on the General section of the forum talking about modifying a BUICK that got the moderator involved. It was reiterated that the general section was for the purist and that thread was moved to the BUICK section where anything goes.

So Yes alsancle, padgett did get it backwards.

If I want to talk about my modified Pontiac's I might go to the PONTIAC section on this forum or I might want to go to the Performance Years forum

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

The suject of clones/tribute/whatever, as mentioned by others, CAN get polarizing.

One thing I have not seen in this thread is legality.

In Missouri, if you were to place GTO emblems on a 1964 Tempest, and you are caught (highly unlikely except when the car is retitled) by the state, the title changes from 1964 Tempest to 2020 Homebuilt.

Have fun getting the 2020 Homebuilt past inspection, and then insured!

Jon.

23 minutes ago, carbking said:

The suject of clones/tribute/whatever, as mentioned by others, CAN get polarizing.

One thing I have not seen in this thread is legality.

In Missouri, if you were to place GTO emblems on a 1964 Tempest, and you are caught (highly unlikely except when the car is retitled) by the state, the title changes from 1964 Tempest to 2020 Homebuilt.

Have fun getting the 2020 Homebuilt past inspection, and then insured!

Jon.

Since 64 -65 GTO's are a option on a LeMans, technically they are a LeMans.

What do you reckon Jon how that would be played out? 

The word, restoration, might fall into this discussion. I know my definition is very different from some others in this forum. Moreover, originality is a moving target. If you change the spark plugs, you now have a modified car. There are very few true original cars out there. Some are just closer than others. It seems the sticking point truly is the representation. If everyone represented their car as it truly is, a modified car, there might be less bickering. Just think of all the parts that are fabricated on some of the early, more obscure makes that are then taken to AACA National meets and win first place awards for originality. Still, the club has to draw a line somewhere.

The whole reason we have some semblance of original cars is because the AACA set a standard for originality and everybody had to jump through the hoops the AACA set. Otherwise, every car would be restored according to the owner's desires and the documents to support originality would be largely lost. Love it or hate it, this is the AACA forum. Can we offer a little respect to the club forum we are on?

These are just my opinions and just like a well known body part, everyone has one.

Please am curious "AACA set a standard" - where please a citation ? Possibly for a specific class or classes but would be surprised if for the club as a whole, particularly given its origins.

BTW the next completely original car I see over 25 years old that is totally original will be the first (why I quit judging).

Just going by experience. I have a friend with a 40 Graham. He was turned down at a show because his car had copper brake lines even though it came with copper brake lines. I guess different people have different definitions of original. I like Pilate's quote to Jesus, "What is truth," because everything seems so subjective. Did you hear that science said coffee was good for you before science said it was bad for you? During this epidemic we have been told, "Trust the science," but like everything else, science changes from day to day.