gm coolant change

steven 123

Use whatever you want but change it often. When the corrosion protection runs out, things get bad rather quickly. On those GM problem cars the factory said 5 years, and it was just too long. It wouldn't surprise me if the recommendation could be traced to some US emission regulations (which often specify minimum maintenance periods) rather than engineering, but I don't know.

Those same GM cars used an intake gasket type that also failed spectacularly on iron engine Fords that used the old coolant formulation.

I have been using the pink stuff and similar "modern" formulations since the 1980s, and I like it. It is less messy if it leaks. Nobody was dying it pink back then, but you could get it if you knew who to call. Today most of my cars have DexCool in them. None of them were originally supplied with it. I don't have much radiator or heater core trouble, and have yet to have any car sidelined by a rotten aluminum casting. I do change my coolant often. Your mileage may vary.

I wait for a coupon special from one of the local oil/fluid change places and then take all three of my Reattas there [one after another]. Keeps it easy to keep track. then in 2019 I had a water pump issue so that car got a fluid change. Then in early 2020 the other daily driver Reatta developed a radiator leak and getting a new radiator took care of that fluid change. The 'vert got a timing chain replaced so it also got a fluid change so I am good for 2 more years.

At the Buick Dealer's recommendation, I have the '91 Reatta's green coolant changed every two years with a 'pellet' added.  Cadillac Dealer recommends that there's no need to change the '00 Eldorado's pink coolant until 100k mileage.  I've followed their respective with no troubles to date...have had each car for seven years so far. 

thanks to every one on there input i always change mine every 2 years even if low mileage to prevent problems it seems now every manufacturer has their own ideas...i do know cars like vw have special fluid and if you add the wrong kind the fluid will jell up and is an expensive repair.....i like using the same in my gm.ford and mazda just so i only have to keep 1 brand in the shop to add to my cars....thanks again