Hartford Shocks

AHa

I'm wondering if anybody has a set of Hartford Shocks they'd be willing to part with. I've been adding period race car pictures to the period race car thread and noticed some cars used them and some did not. I don't see a need for them on today's modern roads but back in the day, as I understand it, a car would leave the roadway because of the slightest bump, I'm guessing because of the recoil from the spring. I do remember some years back at the Chickshea meet, a friend took me for a ride in a 1916 Liberty and we went through a mud puddle and I was almost thrown out of the car because of the spring recoil. I know reproduction Hartfords can be purchased through several outlets, but are there any originals out there for sale? Please respond by email, haywood96@hotmail.com, or post your comments here. Thanks. I find the dynamics of early racing fascinating.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

4 hours ago, AHa said:

I'm wondering if anybody has a set of Hartford Shocks they'd be willing to part with. I've been adding period race car pictures to the period race car thread and noticed some cars used them and some did not. I don't see a need for them on today's modern roads but back in the day, as I understand it, a car would leave the roadway because of the slightest bump, I'm guessing because of the recoil from the spring. I do remember some years back at the Chickshea meet, a friend took me for a ride in a 1916 Liberty and we went through a mud puddle and I was almost thrown out of the car because of the spring recoil. I know reproduction Hartfords can be purchased through several outlets, but are there any originals out there for sale? Please respond by email, haywood96@hotmail.com, or post your comments here. Thanks. I find the dynamics of early racing fascinating.

Good luck.  I've been looking for some as well.  So far, no luck.  If you come up with extras, please let me know.

You can buy authentic reproduction Hartfords from Packard Twin Six. They start at $250 ea. I believe. This is certainly a reasonable price, especially when you consider buying replacement parts. For a restored car, this is ideal. I'm looking for originals.

It is interesting to note only about a third of early race cars used shocks, maybe less than that, in spite of the spring recoil.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AHa said:

You can buy authentic reproduction Hartfords from Packard Twin Six. They start at $250 ea. I believe. This is certainly a reasonable price, especially when you consider buying replacement parts. For a restored car, this is ideal. I'm looking for originals.

It is interesting to note only about a third of early race cars used shocks, maybe less than that, in spite of the spring recoil.

There are two originals  for sale on the HCCA classifieds.  https://hcca.org/classifieds.php?parts  You will have to scroll down to find them. They say original but I have no info on them, just saw them the other day.  

Edited by kfle (see edit history)

Those are the very similar but slightly different British versions..  Andre Hartford. I believe they were made under license in England.  Like the seller states , suitable for a Rolls Royce or similar. 

There are a number of variations in the American produced Hartford's.  Primarily in the  end of the arms that attach to the mounting brackets.  I believe there are also at least 2 and possibly 3 different main body sizes. 

So putting a set together is a bit of a challenge. 

I have a number of parts that are from versions that are not what I am looking for if anyone is interested in trades.. I bought a box full at a swap meet years ago in order to get a few parts that were what I am looking for and there are 4 or 5 arms at least that don't match mine.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)