Information on Correct Carb for 1940 Super

kingrudy

I would like some input as to the correct carburetor to purchase for my 1940 Super. The engine is not original, it is a 263 from about 1953. At some point an early 50s Pontiac Carter carb was installed and it is functional, but should be rebuilt at this time. This carb does not allow me to connect the throttle cable to it and that is another issue. Should I look for the carb from 1940, or go go with one from early 50s and still be stuck with not being able to connect the throttle cable? Sure would appreciate the input. 

Thanks,

Mike 

Edited by kingrudy
Better illustration (see edit history)

I would suggest the original carburetor for the Buick 263 engine. In various years in the early 1950's, a number of different Carters and Strombergs were used.

If you are speaking of the hand throttle, these pretty much disappeared from all passenger makes after WWII.

If one really wants to hook up a hand throttle, pretty easy to modify any carburetor to accept one.

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kingrudy said:

At some point an early 50s Pontiac Carter carb was installed and it is functional, but should be rebuilt at this time.

39 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

The WCD has a three bolt mount on my car. The exhaust manifold is from 1940 Special. 

Mike - a bit more investigation seems to be indicated.

Pontiac 6 cylinder engines were a single barrel 2 bolt through 1952. In 1953, the Pontiac 6 used a WCD 4-bolt.

Pontiac 8 cylinders from 1947 and newer were 4 bolt.

Jon.

46 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

The WCD has a three bolt mount on my car. The exhaust manifold is from 1940 Special. 

Kinda sounds as if both intake and exhaust from the `40 were installed on the 263. I have a rebuilt Carter WCD 608S (`46-`48 248?) 3 bolt with starter switch, if interested. Choke is on the right(pass. side), linkage is on the left side.

22 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Kinda sounds as if both intake and exhaust from the `40 were installed on the 263. I have a rebuilt Carter WCD 608S (`46-`48 248?) 3 bolt with starter switch, if interested. Choke is on the right(pass. side), linkage is on the left side.

This sounds like it would be a winner. The configuration is the same as I have now. Would this also have what I need to connect the throttle cable?

Thanks,

This one i have matches holes for throttle. My camera batteries died, put on the charge, will post picture later. I notice the side mount on your engine but i don`t see any vertical ribs on the exterior of the cylinders. 263 has external vertical ribs, 248 no ribs. 263 picture shows ribs. Dose your block have these ribs? If not you have a 248.                                                                                                                                             Picture 1 of 10

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

No vertical ribs, engine might be older than I thought. It is stamped with an RE number and I assumed that this would have been a 50s engine. 

I don't see the clip that holds the throttle cable, but I could fashion that. Is there a location on the linkage where the cable will attach?

Thanks

1948 was the first year for the side mount boss on the block, so that`s the oldest your engine could be. 1950 is first year for the 263, and last year for the 248. So your engine is a 1948-49-50 248, the RE may mean (Re-manufactured). You lost me on the "throttle cable clip". Dosen`t the throttle cable connect to the carb linkage close to the firewall?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingrudy said:

No vertical ribs, engine might be older than I thought. It is stamped with an RE number and I assumed that this would have been a 50s engine. 

I don't see the clip that holds the throttle cable, but I could fashion that. Is there a location on the linkage where the cable will attach?

Thanks

Mike , may we see a pic of the water pump?  That will tell if it is a '50 or earlier. Also if one pulls the water pump the engine number will be found underneath. I have never seen that one altered.

Ben

Well thank you both for the information. 

On 9/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, kingrudy said:

This sounds like it would be a winner. The configuration is the same as I have now. Would this also have what I need to connect the throttle cable?

Thanks,

On 9/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, kingrudy said:

Thanks,

I will shoot a PM to you and see if we can make this work.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Buick used both  Stromberg and Carter in 1940. I am running a Stromberg that I found in the back seat when I bought my car in 1969.

When I bought it the carb was a Carter with inoperable accelerator pump. I was unaware of any parts sources at that time and had not even

seen Hemmings, so I went to a local parts store and bought some gasket paper and attempted to "rebuild" it myself.  I worked well for probably

ten years and by that time I had moved back to PA from Maryland and built up a network and knowledge and a friend rebuilt it for me. I do not

believe it was original to the car and had no throttle lever. Later I accompanied the same friend to a Buick Dealer in Ligonier, PA and lo and behold

I picked up a NOS base casting for a couple of bucks. The carb survived on that rebuild until this year when the engine finally gave up the ghost.

I just had it rebuilt and restored by Harry Benchwick in Youngstown, OH. Note the bracket that retails the throttle cable and the brass swivel with set

screw that retains the pull wire.

DSCF2208.JPG

DSCF2209.JPG