Dynaflow vibrtion

Peter Rpberts

Hi  I am new to this group and have just finished restoring a 1959 Buick Electra. The Dynaflow has been rebuilt and I have a vibration under acceleration that I believe is coming from the transmission.

During the rebuild we found that the torque converter was entirely different for what was shown in the workshop manual and we had some doubts about some areas of it.  The Top image is the same as shown in the manual while the bottom image is the same as the converter i have.  I think the problem is caused by the lack of a pilot bearing (item 11 in the bottom image) to support the front of the turbine (item19 -20 1n the bottom image). There was nothing on the boss of the turbine or in the bore of the cover but the difference between the two is .060" which leaves room for a bush that is only .030" thick. The parts book shows a bearing but only on transmissions up to 1954 and after that nothing.  

I was hoping there might be some Dynaflow experts in the group who might be able to shed some light on the matter.  I live in Australia and Dynaflow experts are a bit thin on the ground here.Scan1.thumb.jpg.71ceb4c638190ccb98643d34f0765581.jpgScan.thumb.jpg.a41a688adc29f621b267205693703384.jpg

12 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

This one.

RR6.thumb.jpg.49f164836f52bbac5d23ffee685815c2.jpg

On 9/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, mobileparts said:

Did you replace both the transmission mount and the rear transmission thrust pad during installation???

If that very heavy dynaflow transmission is "moving back and forth",

You will sure get vibration....

If you need or want, I have both of them Brand New.....

All the transmission and engine mounts were replaced.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, mobileparts said:

Did you replace both the transmission mount and the rear transmission thrust pad during installation???

If that very heavy dynaflow transmission is "moving back and forth",

You will sure get vibration....

If you need or want, I have both of them Brand New.....

All the transmission and engine mounts were replaced. 

On 9/4/2020 at 5:48 AM, avgwarhawk said:

Did you inspect the u-joint in the driveshaft?  The reason I ask is my Dynaflow in my 60 started with a vibration.  It certainly appeared to be coming from the transmission area.  It was the  much ignored u-joint in the torque tube.  

Yes the rar joint was replaced during the rebuild and the front was checked recently during the transmission rebuild.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 8:54 PM, Roadmaster75 said:

Is your Electra equipped with the FlightPitch Dynaflow or the standard

Dynaflow?  
Two different animals.

There is a separate transmission shop manual issued for 59s with FlightPitch.

It's a standard Dynaflow but the converter is a different to what is shown in the workshop manual.  It is the same s the bottom parts illustration and we were really concerned that there was nothing supporting the first turbine.  The parts book shows a bearing for cars up to 1954 and then nothing after that.  the clearance between the hub and the bore is too small to ahve a bearing or bush in it so we put it back the way it was when we dismantled it but who knows what has happened to it over the last 60 years.  The car has only done 53000 miles but I didn't drive it before I restored so I don't know what it felt like.

When is the vibration felt? What speed? When driving under acceleration is the vibration present? Vibration is present when coasting? 

Reading the manual it states weak, bent or broken turbine vanes will cause vibration and a whistle. 

Possible the converter needs to be balanced. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

When is the vibration felt? What speed? When driving under acceleration is the vibration present? Vibration is present when coasting? 

Reading the manual it states weak, bent or broken turbine vanes will cause vibration and a whistle. 

Possible the converter needs to be balanced. 

Engine RPM in neutral?  Drive?  Low?  Reverse?  Foot on brake and load up in Drive?  Switch Pitch working?  All speeds?

Over this many years most of those transmission were rebuilt, some better than others.  Substitutions, deletions, additions were done, shortcuts taken....some were know to work back then, but unknown now.  Most torque converter problems show as performance issues and noise.

If you pin it down to the torque converter, replace just that component with one that had not been "messed with".

• Like 1

The vibration is only when accelerating from a standstill.  It's a bit strange because I can feel it more through the steering wheel rather than the body. I am thinking it is because the hub can flex in the cover because there is no bush in the cover.  It doesn't look like it has ever been apart before but as somebody said who knows what has happened to it over the last 60 years.  At his stage I am thinking of swapping transmissions  with my 58 and see if the vibration goes away.  If the vibration goes away ten i think a new converter is in order.

6 hours ago, Peter Rpberts said:

The vibration is only when accelerating from a standstill.  It's a bit strange because I can feel it more through the steering wheel rather than the body. I am thinking it is because the hub can flex in the cover because there is no bush in the cover.  It doesn't look like it has ever been apart before but as somebody said who knows what has happened to it over the last 60 years.  At his stage I am thinking of swapping transmissions  with my 58 and see if the vibration goes away.  If the vibration goes away ten i think a new converter is in order.

Do the pressure tests that are hopefully outlined in the service manual.  The pressures are lowest at idle and sometime if very low will not come up quickly enough to keep the clutches from chattering when accelerating.  Starting in Low will give a different vibration due to the low band slipping.

• Like 2