1911 Hupmobile Torpedo

My Hupmobile Model 20 "Torpedo" just got listed on "Bring a Trailer." Most of the cars on the site are more recent, high-powered Porsche-type models, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Naturally, I encourage you to bid!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1911-hupmobile-model-20/

Phil

IMG_8609.JPG

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, gee, if the $2000 isn’t  enough,  I’d give $2010.....looks like a nice car, with an unusual body style...Hupp made the torpedo, the more common runabout, the unusual to find touring car, and a now rare coupe.

Bring a Trailer is a pretty popular and established business, so I don't have a problem giving them my card info. Your credit card is only used to insure your bidding is legitimate and to pay their commission at the end; the same as a "live" auction like RM or Bonhams. The method of payment for a winning bid is between the buyer and seller. 

Has anyone here bought a car there?

Phil

No, never bought but bid on a regular basis (it always comes down to the last 10 minutes). I offered a few cars to sell, but they are getting quiet picky cause the amount of vehicles being offered to them. I think cars & bids is doing the same format but only for vehicles newer than 1980.

On 8/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, Frank Wilkie said:

I would love to bid on this vehicle but I'm too skeptic of giving out my credit card number in order to bid.. 

I had to cancel my CC due to unrelated issues with BAT, and I'm still able to bid with an obsolete card. (That shows they don't check your card again after the initial sign up).

These are the issues I'm thinking about..  Not enough security to protect yourself... I would attempt to buy this car if I could deal direct with the owner.  I understand that a seller would like to get as much exposure to buyers through an auction site..  Frank L. Wilkie , Goreville, IL. 62939 on facebook. 

I'm surprised they didn't flag your expired card, bdc. However, when you actually place a bid, they claim they put a temporary charge on your card to be sure the bid is legit. I assume a "live" auction also requires a guarantee of payment before they give you a bidder's paddle.

Phil

I dont think they put the temporary charge on your card except after the initial sign up and when you actually win the bid. They cant put a temporary charge on everyone's card when they make a bid, it would be a chaos to sort that out.

I've bid on a few BAT cars and was the winning bidder on my 1923 Cadillac.

Every bid results in a hold on the member's credit card.

This is from the BAT FAQ page:

How Bidding Works

You must register to bid to place bids on BaT.

• All bids are verified by a credit card hold to ensure commitment of potential buyers. When a bid is placed, we place a hold on the credit card on file for 5% of the bid amount. When the auction closes, the hold is released for all bidders who didn’t win the vehicle.
  • Sniping protection extends the auction clock by two minutes each time a bid is placed in the auction’s final moments. The auction isn’t over until two full minutes have elapsed since the highest bid was placed.
  • We encourage all potential bidders to read the listing and review the entirety of the comment section before placing a bid. It is important that bidders do their due diligence to understand all the details of the car and insights offered by members of the community.

I've had no issues with data integrity related to BAT.

Joe

Congratulations!  I watched the end of the auction, I like how the high bid has to stand for two minutes before the auction is ended.  If someone else pops in with a higher bid during the last two minutes, the clock resets to two minutes.  This gives all of the bidders two minutes to consider whether to put in a higher bid instead of getting cut off by time running out.  :)