Locomobile 8 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

Who can speak about the differences between the Junior 8, the 8-70, the 8-80, the 8-88 and the 8-90?  Are the 8-80 and the 8-88 basically the same car just a different year?  Was there ever built an 8-90 or 8-120?  Pictures would be good.

Al

Don't own it -- but found a nice set of photos for a 1928 Locomobile on Worthpoint.

A Model 8-70 Sedan which had won an AACA First in 1967, been in the Harrah collection, and was for sale about 15 years ago, probably in the U.K. It has a 246.7 Cu. In. Lycoming I-8 powerplant. They seemed to think the serial number was DS 8336.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1928-locomobile-70-sedan-163858797

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Has anyone here run a Locomobile Junior 8 against or with a Little "8" Marmon?  I am curious how they actually compare.  At one time I owned a 1927 "Little" Marmon 4 passenger speedster.  It was a nice running car and ran out very well.  I have to admit, that automobile taught me to NOT hold Dayton wire wheels in high regard.  It was certainly a nice looking 4 passenger touring car.  If you can, share some thoughts on the Junior 8 Locomobile.

Alan

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a link to the huge Locomobile literature collection now held by the Bridgeport Public Library.  They are very nice and helpful to deal with.  If you need or want anything listed give them a try.  The list is extensive!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have a 1928 Locomobile open phaeton 8-70 (w/ Lycoming straight 8 + 3 speed + heavy duty Warford underdrive) that was converted into a quick response hose and ladder truck during the great depression for a small town Colorado fire department. I have a few body pieces, but I do not believe it could ever be a phaeton again. The windshield/ cowl/ hood/ radiator/ fenders/ engine/ wood spoke wheels are all in pretty decent shape as it was mainly stored indoors. Thinking of installing a box and calling it a pickup unless there are Junior body parts somewhere out in the big world...........

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There is a 1926 Locomobile Junior 8 roadster for auction coming soon on World Wide Auctions in Auburn, Indiana.  It does appear to be a very nice early 8 cylinder Locomobile.  Ultimately, the sale price will reflect the number of collectors hunting for a late Durant series 8 cylinder Locomobile.  I think it may be hard pressed to find a sale above $25,000. and likely will sell between $20,000 and $25,000.  If I was after a Junior 8, this is one automobile that would get my attention.

Al

Al, you can bid live, online and by phone.  

https://worldwideauctioneers.com/bidder-registration/

https://worldwideauctioneers.com/listings/auburn-auction-2021/1926-locomobile-junior-8-roadster/

good luck.  i have a friend there who is going to check out the locomobile.  i am not interested in bidding , just curious.  jump on that car  some Packards went today very cheaply.  that might fall into your hands for a fabulous price.  

Al, I see it sold for 50,400 including buyers premium.  I haven't spoken to my friend who was at the auction to see if he was able to view the car before it went across the block.  As you mentioned, hopefully the buyer will appear on the AACA forum and introduce themselves and share more about the car and join in with other Locomobile owners.  

• Like 1

Although I had heard of a Locomobile, I really didn’t do much reading or research about them until just a few years ago. I’m blown away by the quality and engineering of the construction of these amazing cars. I’m looking forward to learning a lot more about them and I appreciate what you guys are sharing on the forum. 

• Like 1

Fellas, I am the guy that won the auction. There was a great deal of luck in place for it to happen, I am amazed I did have the top bid. We saw the car on Thursday PM, and it was impressive in person. I only managed a test *ride*, but it was good. I made a phone bid on Sat evening. I really thought Mark Hyman would take it, but he dropped out at 40,000. 

There are caveats here. Remember, if you are buying any car in Indiana, you will be subject to paying tax on that car that is not reimbursed/transferred by a different state the car is titled in. The only way around it is to have a commercial shipper, such as Passport, deliver the car. The tax rate is 7 per cent. 

We live in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.

The Loco might arrive sometime next week, via Passport.

I, too, only knew of much larger Locomobiles, for example a 1914 Loco that I saw at the OCF at Dearborn a couple of years ago. Its only because Worldwide Auctioneers sent me a flyer in the mail, that I almost threw in the recycling...I had signed up with them for the 2019 Auburn Fall auction, where I lost out on a 1925 Hupmobile 8 cyl roadster...that sold for a mere 10K ....

https://trombinoscar.com/hupmobile/2502.html

Another interesting car coming to auction at Hershey this year is a Templar. This is a similar car that I did not win at a auction several years ago. But, I am all spent so maybe some deserving guy would be able to take this

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/templar/sportette/2512186.html

Hyman had this wonderful 1918 Templar roadster for sale a couple of years ago....I think it sold for 50K.

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6386-1918-templar-4-45-roadster/

Templar cars can be seen at the original factory in the Cleveland area....http://www.templarmotors.com/

Back to the Junior 8,  the leaf springs seem stuck together, and the vacuum tank is bypassed, as the Stromberg carb is leaking gas with the electric pump left on after the engine is shut off, too much pressure....I am wondering what engine oil to use....etc...looking forward to meeting people on this forum very much.

Jay

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you have a project on your hands.  Have you had the engine running?  What is the rest of your Locomobile like?  I do have most of a body that is like the Locomobile sedan posted above on January 4.  Those body parts may help you out with parts needed to complete your Locomobile 8-80.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, AlfaTazio said:

Fellas, I am the guy that won the auction. There was a great deal of luck in place for it to happen, I am amazed I did have the top bid. We saw the car on Thursday PM, and it was impressive in person. I only managed a test *ride*, but it was good. I made a phone bid on Sat evening. I really thought Mark Hyman would take it, but he dropped out at 40,000. 

There are caveats here. Remember, if you are buying any car in Indiana, you will be subject to paying tax on that car that is not reimbursed/transferred by a different state the car is titled in. The only way around it is to have a commercial shipper, such as Passport, deliver the car. The tax rate is 7 per cent. 

We live in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.

The Loco might arrive sometime next week, via Passport.

I, too, only knew of much larger Locomobiles, for example a 1914 Loco that I saw at the OCF at Dearborn a couple of years ago. Its only because Worldwide Auctioneers sent me a flyer in the mail, that I almost threw in the recycling...I had signed up with them for the 2019 Auburn Fall auction, where I lost out on a 1925 Hupmobile 8 cyl roadster...that sold for a mere 10K ....

https://trombinoscar.com/hupmobile/2502.html

Another interesting car coming to auction at Hershey this year is a Templar. This is a similar car that I did not win at a auction several years ago. But, I am all spent so maybe some deserving guy would be able to take this

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/templar/sportette/2512186.html

Hyman had this wonderful 1918 Templar roadster for sale a couple of years ago....I think it sold for 50K.

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6386-1918-templar-4-45-roadster/

Templar cars can be seen at the original factory in the Cleveland area....http://www.templarmotors.com/

Back to the Junior 8,  the leaf springs seem stuck together, and the vacuum tank is bypassed, as the Stromberg carb is leaking gas with the electric pump left on after the engine is shut off, too much pressure....I am wondering what engine oil to use....etc...looking forward to meeting people on this forum very much.

Jay

Jay, that car of yours is fabulous looking.  Any updates on ownership and sorting out fuel delivery and carb issues?  I wonder if penetrating oil and time can "unstick" the leaf springs?  Any attempts at getting them moving?  Several of us were watching that car and I appreciate you coming on here and letting us know you are the buyer.

• Like 1

I would like to take this moment to wish all those who read and participate on the Locomobile forums a Merry Christmas, fun Holidays and the best the New Year has to offer. Thanks for your contributions whether simply as a reader or a contributor. Long live Locomobile!

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, et al.,,,

Winter has arrived in New Hampshire, so the car stays in the garage till after *mud season*.  I need to select a oil to use, the previous owner used Valvoline Racing straight 30 wt....I am thinking 10-30 wt....haven't done it yet. 

I did change out the coil to a new Bosch 6 volt VW/Porsche 356 unit and then installed a set of Model A spark plug adapters with long reach plugs, which always helps a bit. 

Have not yet resolved the fuel pressure. Truth is, I am between homes, my NH home is my new residence, but I still have to sell my DC area home, which still has most of my tools...maybe by mud season.

I can not say how pleased I am with this car. Its a pleasure to let the clutch out and feel the straight eight begin to rev, much smoother than a six with a wonderful exhaust note....after registering the Loco, I took it down to town hall to show it to the the Town Clerk, who is a 80 year old female car nut. We have locked horns over past car registrations, but the Loco won her over and she insisted it be driven in the 4th of July parade. I do hope the Loco has paved the way to greater accomodation in future car registrations...

I will get back with more info when I can, thanks for the inquires.  Later,

Jay

• Like 2

Hello Jay, Is the a retirement move that is taking you from the big city, (DC) to a more laid back rural setting of New Hampshire?  Secondly, might this be a return home and new employment?  We are happy to hear of your current success with the Locomobile 8.  Post a few pictures, along the way that show us what you have done.  A video clip would be nice for some of us that have never heard a Locomobile 8 run.  Sounds like you have a good start to a good new year!

Al

Hi Al,

Yes, NH is a retirement home. My Grandpa lived in NH, and I adored visiting him and NH since three years old. Many advantages to NH in terms of taxes, car registration, tax on wines...

The only thing I will miss about DC are the excellent wine shops, the rest.....well......no.

I will try a few photos after mud season, but maybe a winter photo is possible. I had better do a exhaust video soon, as I am known for monkeying about with exhaust systems, usually, by adding a flex-pipe on the downpipe, and then one of those Smitthy resonators, followed by a small muffler, and maintaining a constant tubing diameter from the downpipe to the end of the tailpipe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is another Locmobile Junior 8 listed for sale on Facebook.  This one has been for sale several times over the past and looks to be a solid driver.  Check out Facebook for more information and contact information if you have an interest in this fun Locomobile.

Al

No photo description available.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 1927 Lycoming HDL Straight 8 Locomobile, Cool car!

I just posted in the Locomobile thread as a new topic before seeing this one. I am going to copy and past the other post below, You all might be able to help some, dont hate me due to a double post, I hate it when people do that, but this might be a better place for the post.

Hello all,

I have a 27 Locomobile. My grandfather (Buddy Beard from Tulsa) restored the car in about 1973, it has been in the shop at my house for at least 50 years. After my dad passed I was left the car and bought the house/shop it has been stored in.

Locomobile 8-80

Model 80

car no 588

Engine Lycoming HDL34349

3 things I am most curious about are is it a super rare 1 of a kind (read below). What is the body called? it though it would be a roadster but I don't see any others called roadsters, I don't think the top folds down all the way (never tried). What is it worth?

I was told growing up that this car is very rare, 1 of 3 left in the world. After doing a lot of research I am more lost than before LOL. I think mine might be a special order or the only one left period. There are a couple that look a little similar but not exactly like mine (Think they are 26 or 27's with wood wheels). I was told that in the early 2000’s My dad had a Locomobile expert come look at the car and he said that it theoretically does not exist. I the title of my car says 1927 and the Lycoming HDL motor that’s in it was not available until 1928 but the serial # and car # are right for the this car or something to that effect. It might have been a experimental test car.?.? I am including a picture of the bill of sale I found from Kansas with the body, engine numbers.

Does anyone know of any resources for me to find more out about my car? My dad passed 7 years ago and I am ready to get this old girl going again. I have contacted the Bridgeport library and they have a wealth of resources that will help all of us rare Loco owners. They found a 1927 8-80 owners/ maintance manual, I paid to have it scanned. It with a lot of other Locomobile information/ manuals can be found here to look at now: http://hdl.handle.net/11134/110002:locomobile

They mainly have data up to Durant buying Loco including a log of every loco made from 1903 to 1915! They dont have much on locos after Durant took them over, my 27 manual was a fluke..

As far as getting it going again all I need is the linkages that go from the steering colum to the dist. and carb. I have the rods that run down the column, any help, even picures of what they are supposed to look like would be a GREAT HELP!! The water pump has been off the car for probably 30 years, there was a problem with the one that was on the car. I have 2 water pumps that look the same except the inside is a little different (see pics) any one know which one its supposed to have and if I need one, where would I even begin to look? a scan from a service manual would be a lot of help on the water pump. It is a old restoration, the paint on the fenders did not bond well (something about bad primer?) it has been like that since a month after it was painted. I have all the parts to put it back together and now the time to.

Things I would love to find out about it if at all possible is, How rare is it? Where to find any lineage such as previous owners, Original colors of paint/ interior, ect.

How much might be worth? I understand its a rare car which doesn't mean its worth more unless it's desirable, I have no idea how ti figure out how desirable a rare car is. (no real interest in selling it, If someone made me a offer I would consider it), Just curios for insurance purposes and if anyone did make me a offer.

The only car I have seen like it was the "sawmill Loco frame" I tried to buy it for a parts car but could not get it shipping set up before someone else bought it. I posted pics of mine a long time ago on the sawmill loco, post. I am re-posting some (looks the same) and some new stuff here. If anyone has any info on the "sawmill Loco" I would love to buy for parts or at least the carb, dist. linkages.

2 of the scans were in the envelope with the title and recites, they are for a different loco, but still interesting.

20150924_203341.jpg

20150924_203427.jpg

20150924_203509.jpg

20150924_203527.jpg

20150924_203651.jpg

20150924_203701.jpg

bill of sale tittle.jpg

print of some sell stuff.jpg

sales stuff.jpg

20150925_152116.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:44 PM, alsfarms said:

Here is a link to the huge Locomobile literature collection now held by the Bridgeport Public Library.  They are very nice and helpful to deal with.  If you need or want anything listed give them a try.  The list is extensive!!

Here is a link to the stuff they uploaded, you can look at it now, Includes a list of every Loco made from 1903 to 1915. http://hdl.handle.net/11134/110002:locomobile The people there are GREAT! I paid to have a 1927 8-80 scanned, cost $5 research fee and .15 cents per page. well worth it and now you all can look at it. I haven't figured out how to download the manual yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for your posting.  Your 8-80 is the last effort to make a more modern Locomobile that would compete better with the rest of the  straight 8 group.  Your Locomobile is a convertible coupe or cabriolet.  The nice thing about this body type is you do have a convertible but you also have side windows that roll up and down.  I must admit, I have not seen another Locomobile 8-80 with this body configuration, mostly roadster, touring cars and sedans.  I hope that other owners of 8 cylinder Locomobiles will participate in this conversation and help us all understand the Locomobile 8-80 better.

Alan

Your book does not list an 8-80 collapsible coupe but they were available in June of 1927.  Today most in the hobby call them a convertible coupe or cabriolet just as alsfarms said. New it was $3,000 FOB, not the most expensive Locomobile, but a lot in 1927.  The HDL engine was 298.6 CID same as the Lycoming 4H, 4HM, HD and MD engines.  I would start by going to this link and print out the Lycoming H series book, about 28 pages and the MD pamphlet.

http://gardnermotorcars.com/engines.html
You asked about the linkage for the carb. It appears you have the original Schebler and the linkage went on both sides of the carb. Engine side gas pedal, hood side steering column. The attached pictures are for a Gardner GS engine with a Schebler. On my car the center rod through the steering column was used for the throttle. I can get better photos if needed.

throttle-steering1s.jpg

throttle-pedal1s.jpg