gettysburg grand nats

yetter

1 hour ago, SIRAACA_Editor said:

Just curious, were there dash plaques for this meet?  My group all picked up our envelopes on Friday, and when we drove in Saturday morning, we got a temperature check and directions to our spots on the field.  Perhaps we were supposed to go somewhere else to get the plaque?

I know we were supposed to go somewhere either in the wyndham hotel or on the show field  to pickup the plaques, but I also totally forgot about it. Hopefully there are some left for those of us who forgot.

Sad to see not everyone was wearing masks. I fear the same would be true in Hershey.

How do you police and enforce this as a requirement? That may prevent us from going to Hershey this year.

The lack of respect for one another has kept me away from shows or car nights this year.

19 hours ago, philip roitman said:

I know we were supposed to go somewhere either in the wyndham hotel or on the show field  to pickup the plaques, but I also totally forgot about it. Hopefully there are some left for those of us who forgot.

On Saturday morning  AACA President Jim Elliot was handing out dash plaques to vehicles entering the show field at the registration tent located on the road that ran between the center trailer parking area and the Gateway Theater.  With so many different ways to get from the trailer parking areas to the show field it is no wonder that some people may not have used this road and gotten their dash plaque. After I parked my car in it's spot I took a walk to look for the tent and President Elliot, found him and got my dash plaque. On the way back I stopped at one of the food vendors and got a breakfast sandwich which was very good.

Be advised that Steve M. posted earlier that the dash plaque was ordered before the move to Gettysburg so it has a nice photo of the NB Center at Allentown and the original July dates for the AGNM.

Given the original, higher anticipated car count, I would imagine that there may be some left over dash plaques that might possibly be available to car owners that attended the AGNM but did not get one. I am sure Steve M. will chime in here at some point when he can.

Charlie

2020 Dash Plaque.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Mark McAlpine

Members who had a vehicle on the show field at Gettysburg but did not get their dash plaque should contact AACA HQ.  If you're attending the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey, HQ may be able to bring a dash plaque to the show and give it to you there.  Alternately, if you're not going to Hershey, you could have a friend going to the show in Hershey pick it for you.

Guest Mark McAlpine
22 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Sad to see not everyone was wearing masks. I fear the same would be true in Hershey.

How do you police and enforce this as a requirement? That may prevent us from going to Hershey this year.

The lack of respect for one another has kept me away from shows or car nights this year.

Everyone entering the Gateway Gettysburg facility had to have their temperatures checked before being allowed in.  (Vehicles were stopped at the road entering the facility--before you got to trailer parking, let alone the hotels, show field, theater, or Appalachian Brewery Company restaurant.)  Everyone was requested to wear a mask.  All judges were issued comfortable masks (with the AACA emblem), and the AACA merchandise trailer sold the same masks for $5 each.  Hand wash stations with hand sanitizer were placed around the show field.  The hotels required everyone to wear masks inside the hotel, and the ABC restaurant & hotel restaurant required you to wear masks until seated (and their tables were socially distanced).

I don't know what's causing your concern about Gettysburg--almost everyone I saw throughout the weekend (I was there Thursday-Sunday) wore masks.  The few that didn't were usually away from other people and with family members and/or what appeared to be close friends.  On Saturday, members with vehicles on the show field wore masks while sitting by their vehicles for hours in the heat.  I observed better health safety practices in Gettysburg than I see in public most days here in Virginia (and elsewhere).

I understand and share your concern about personal safety & ensuring the safety of our members and the public, but I believe the club followed the guidance in place and did everything it could to provide a safe environment and protect people attending this year's Grand Nationals.  I'm confident AACA HQ and the Hershey Region will do the same for the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey.  However, as with everything in life, going to Hershey this year is a personal decision.  We each have to make a personal risk assessment based on our own health, the risk conditions, and our confidence (or lack thereof) in the safety measures in place.  Obviously, the situation could change in the next six weeks before the show in Hershey, but right now my wife's & my experience in Gettysburg reinforced our confidence and we are going to Hershey. 

Best wishes--be safe and stay healthy.  And thank you for your concern that the club follow expert guidance and protect our members.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Corrected last sentence of third paragraph. (see edit history)

I agree with Mark's assessment. Our first Grand National and we witnessed a pretty uniform wearing of masks.

The only time we removed our masks was when we had lunch and when we were driving our car. Driving home on our way through downtown Gettysburg hardy a mask was to be seen.

Guest Mark McAlpine
23 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Members who had a vehicle on the show field at Gettysburg but did not get their dash plaque should contact AACA HQ.  If you're attending the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey, HQ may be able to bring a dash plaque to the show and give it to you there.  Alternately, if you're not going to Hershey, you could have a friend going to the show in Hershey pick it for you.

I checked with AACA President Jim Elliott, and if you had a show car on the show field in Gettysburg and didn't receive a dash plaque and aren't going to the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey, you can also write AACA HQ, request a dash plaque, enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope, and they will mail a dash plaque to you.

Edited by Mark McAlpine (see edit history)

On 8/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, Mark McAlpine said:

Thanks, Mark. Just called the office and a GNM plaque will be included in my registration folder at Hershey. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion there. Stay safe and take care. I am also headed out to the Greenbrier Concours this weekend and if you happen to be there will see you then.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, Mark McAlpine said:

Everyone entering the Gateway Gettysburg facility had to have their temperatures checked before being allowed in.  (Vehicles were stopped at the road entering the facility--before you got to trailer parking, let alone the hotels, show field, theater, or Appalachian Brewery Company restaurant.)  Everyone was requested to wear a mask.  All judges were issued comfortable masks (with the AACA emblem), and the AACA merchandise trailer sold the same masks for $5 each.  Hand wash stations with hand sanitizer were placed around the show field.  The hotels required everyone to wear masks inside the hotel, and the ABC restaurant & hotel restaurant required you to wear masks until seated (and their tables were socially distanced).

I don't know what's causing your concern about Gettysburg--almost everyone I saw throughout the weekend (I was there Thursday-Sunday) wore masks.  The few that didn't were usually away from other people and with family members and/or what appeared to be close friends.  On Saturday, members with vehicles on the show field wore masks while sitting by their vehicles for hours in the heat.  I observed better health safety practices in Gettysburg than I see in public most days here in Virginia (and elsewhere).

I understand and share your concern about personal safety & ensuring the safety of our members and the public, but I believe the club followed the guidance in place and did everything it could to provide a safe environment and protect people attending this year's Grand Nationals.  I'm confident AACA HQ and the Hershey Region will do the same for the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey.  However, as with everything in life, going to Hershey this year is a personal decision.  We each have to make a personal risk assessment based on our own health, the risk conditions, and our confidence (or lack thereof) in the safety measures in place.  Obviously, the situation could change in the next six weeks before the show in Hershey, but right now my wife's & my experience in Gettysburg reinforced our confidence and we are going to Hershey. 

Best wishes--be safe and stay healthy.  And thank you for your concern that the club follow expert guidance and protect our members.

I was there Friday and Saturday. Very well said. Amen.

Guest Mark McAlpine
36 minutes ago, philip roitman said:

Thanks, Mark. Just called the office and a GNM plaque will be included in my registration folder at Hershey. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion there. Stay safe and take care. I am also headed out to the Greenbrier Concours this weekend and if you happen to be there will see you then.

Glad to hear it, Phillip.  Sorry you & some others didn't get your dash plaques in Gettysburg (I guess because there were several ways onto the different areas of the show field), but members will receive their dash plaques if they contact HQ.

Unfortunately, Marion & I won't be able to make it to the Greenbrier Concours (wish we could), but we look forward to seeing you in Hershey and hope we have more time to talk there.

Which car are you taking to the Greenbrier?

Just now, Mark McAlpine said:

Glad to hear it, Phillip.  Sorry you & some others didn't get your dash plaques in Gettysburg (I guess because there were several ways onto the different areas of the show field), but members will receive their dash plaques if they contact HQ.

Unfortunately, Marion & I won't be able to make it to the Greenbrier Concours (wish we could), but we look forward to seeing you in Hershey and hope we have more time to talk there.

Which car are you taking to the Greenbrier?

We will be taking the Harvest Gold Four Speed to the Greenbrier.  We will also be taking it to Hershey. Looking forward to Hershey also and seeing and talking with both of you there. Take care and stay safe!