gettysburg grand nats

yetter

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

YES, but MASKS ARE REQUIRED!

So which is it?  Because that's not the answer that you gave the other day.

We will respectfully ask that everyone consider their fellow human being and either maintain social distance or have their mask on.  It is not too much to ask.  It comes down to the fact that each of us has a responsibility to abide by the rules in place.  This is our agreement with the facility and we must abide by their rules as well.  If you enter the hotels you must have a mask on.  There are some that feel this show should not go on and that some our members cannot and will not do the right thing.  This cannot happen as we don't want to have any issues at this event. 

Hershey is another story, as of today you will have to wear a mask.  If you do not you will be asked to leave.  If the rules for Hersheypark are relaxed by October then those will be the rules we will follow.

Semantics...we are asking everyone to wear their mask as much as possible.  I gave the short answer.  Naturally if you are nowhere around others and are TRULY social distanced it is not a problem to  take off your mask. Too many people are fudging on the social distancing at other venues. It is a requirement to wear your mask if you are close to others.  If you are coming to view the cars and are going to be around the owner we would expect you would have the courtesy of wearing your mask.  The hotel is still working on their legal stance of masks on the property but in the hotel it is a requirement.  Our hope is that everyone wears their masks at all possible times.  it can be done and it has been proven to be done with thousands of people in hot weather.  We have communicated all this extensively to our car owners and judges.  I do not know how to make this any clearer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This was sent to our board yesterday, just an FYI.  If anyone thinks this is easy to navigate you are welcome to tell us how to do it better.  As I said, at the last minute the lawyers could lay down restrictions we do not currently have.  As ans aside, I attended Hershey park a week ago with my family.  There were over 10,000 people at the park and it was HOT, with the exception of the water park, I only saw one  person walking around with no mask the entire day.  

I think we will have as safe an event as humanly possible and much safer than any car show currently being held.  Some may feel it is over the top but it is not.  We care about the health of all of us and will not apologize for it one bit.  We have eight  different areas the cars will be located in which should help reduce the size of any crowd and help with social distancing.  We have four food vendors and four major stations of porta-johns, handwashing and sanitizing trees.  We have a unique way of conducting the trophy presentation.  If everyone cooperates with wearing their masks we should come through this like a champ.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Steve, for those arriving Saturday morning I would imagine that there will be a tent somewhere on the property where people can pickup their packets before heading to the show field? No doubt you already have signs made up to direct people to this area. A friend of mine who will be driving to the show on Saturday was wondering since he did see an mention of this in the letter you sent out  (which be both received yesterday, BTW). He is not on the forums so I thought I would ask for him. Thanks.

Charlie

The only dope here is me, there is no way to tell anyone 100% of how things will be once we open up.  So far, knock on wood, we have a great weekend planned.  We have almost 500 cars, 170 judges and a COVID plan far better than a lot of places we have seen.  We still are waiting for final stipulations from the owners of the hotel but we are ready!  We have volunteers from three regions helping out and a large contingent of our board in place.  We ARE looking to put on a safe and fun event for our members.  As I continually have said, if we all cooperate we can prove you can do events safely.  

• Like 6

Are there any set hours (opening/closing) on Thursday or Friday as far as trailer parking area is concerned?

Will the Trailer parking be in the same field as it was for the 2018 National held at this facility? 

For those attending the judging school on Friday afternoon, would it be a good idea for attendees to bring a folding car show chair with them to use during class?

Thanks,

Charlie

On 8/16/2020 at 11:18 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

The only dope here is me, there is no way to tell anyone 100% of how things will be once we open up.  So far, knock on wood, we have a great weekend planned.  We have almost 500 cars, 170 judges and a COVID plan far better than a lot of places we have seen.  We still are waiting for final stipulations from the owners of the hotel but we are ready!  We have volunteers from three regions helping out and a large contingent of our board in place.  We ARE looking to put on a safe and fun event for our members.  As I continually have said, if we all cooperate we can prove you can do events safely.  

Steve, don't put yourself down.  You're walking down a path that no Executive Director has ever had to walk down, so there's nothing you could've done to change this, and there's never been a policy to address this.

For all of the changes you, the national directors and the staff at headquarters have had to go through, I'm happy we're having an AGNM.  So if the alternatives are to follow the rules or don't have a show, I'm going to follow the rules and be thankful for what we have.

The one thing that I think many people have forgotten??

It has been six months since AACA has had a national meet of any kind.  That is probably the longest span of time AACA has ever gone without having a national meet take place.

On a personal note, I've had to book a room for the AGNM three different times, I've also had to shift my time off of work several times this year.  So with all of that in mind, the mask is miniscule in comparison.  As for AACA national, what the members have had to deal with is nothing but a small pothole in a large parking lot in comparison to the mess that national has had to deal with..... on top of trying to get into the new headquarters as well. 

So far I'm loaded up, so it's a matter of getting my cleaning supplies and stuff loaded on the hauler.  If Governor Cuomo adds Pennsylvania to the list of restricted places to travel within the next 48 hours, I will be unloading the truck and staying home.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Yes, we should have folks 9-6 each day there to help guide you.  Big trailer area is the same but we are using multiple locations due to the number of trailers.  Judging school is now moved inside as we have a big room and can socially distance.  

The answer above is for Thursday and Friday. Will trailers be allowed to arrive on Saturday? If so what time will parking people be there to help park?

Yes, trailers will be allowed to arrive on Saturday.  Hopefully the parking people will be there by 7 AM if they did not party too much that night!  As to Joe's comment, this event has not been advertised to the public at all.  It is not fenced in like Allentown and there are businesses in the complex including two hotels and a restaurant so there is no way to limit people coming into the venue.  With 8 different sections of the showfield we do not see crowds to be an issue since virtually no one but AACA members know the show is going on and you can not see the show from the road.  

Pat thanks for the support.  We all have and will continue to try and do the best we can in these challenging times which also includes our members attending the event.  It is up to all of us to have a friendly, fun and safe event.

• Like 3

Steve, I think that next week, after this show is over, people will come away being amazed at the magnitude of afford the Club Members and Staff running the Meet accomplished to pulled it off. This Grand National, with the tremendous problems that needed to be work out,  I doubt that we can fully appreciate what it must have taken to get it done.  

I'll be the first to thank all in advance, you guys and ladies involved in achieving this move, are simply amazing! 

• Like 3

We just arrived and are enjoying a cold brew at an outside table at the Appalachian Brewing Co, about thirty steps from out hotel. Beautiful grounds, lots of trailers in place and cars coming in. This Is a ring side seat for early arrivals. A.nice afternoon in Pa.

Terry

• Like 2

Leaving tomorrow at 10AM with my Yellow '73 Gran Sport and the Gold '73 Gran Sport will be leaving with my best friend and mechanic after work tomorrow. Busy week with lots of last minute car preparations. Can't wait for this show. Will be a welcome sight to see coming back to Gettysburg after doing the Founders Tour there in '17 and the National Meet in '18.

116014950_3844180218931123_245949811243368988_n.jpg

IMG_5677.JPG

• Like 1

Terry, I'll see you tomorrow afternoon.  At this point it's a matter of a wake-up and a road trip.  Truth be told, I wasn't expecting any AGNM at all.  Up until today I really hadn't taken things to heart because I thought between all of the things that have been going on, as well as our Governor, I thought for sure that I wasn't going to be going.

Once I get home my next order of business will be to start getting ready for Hershey...

Guest Mark McAlpine

Congratulations to all the nominees for the 2019 Zenith Award.  Thank you to all the owners of all ten vehicles who brought the vehicles to Gettysburg to share with the rest of us.  (There were other cars nominated for the Zenith Award who did not bring their cars to the show.)

Here are photos of the nominees.  Each was gorgeous and a winner in its own right.  (I'm glad I didn't have to judge them.)

Congratulations to the 2019 Zenith Award winner, the 1958 Buick Century Caballero station wagon owned by Joe & Julie Tonietto.  The runner up was the 1933 Auburn 12-165 owned by Calvin High.

Cars below:

#1:  1958 Buick Century Caballero station wagon owned by Joe & Julie Tonietto of Troy, MI.

#2:  1934 Packard 1104 owned by Doug & Julie Fernandez of Wethersfield, CT.

#3:  1971 Oldsmobile 442 W-30 owned by Clyde & Elaine Cox of Coral Springs, FL.

#4:  1933 Auburn 12-165 owned by Calvin High of Willow Street, PA.

#5:  1929 Pierce-Arrow 133 owned by Ross & Beth Myers of Boyertown, PA.

#6:  1956 DeSoto Fireflite owned by Osborne Clark of Greensboro, NC.

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added winner & runner up info and make & model of six nominated cars (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

The other four Zenith Award nominee cars.

Photos below: 

#1:  1967 Pontiac GTO owned by Bill Brunker, Sherrills Ford, NC

#2:  1931 Ford Model A convertible sedan owned by Mary & Stan Sorrels of LaPorte, IN

#3:  1910 Oakland 30 Model 24 Runabout owned by Paul & Janice Phillips of Marietta, GA

#4:  1929 Nash 442 owned by Richard & Michele Cannon of Ligonier, PA

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

Thanks for posting pics Mark, fabulous cars!!!. Its a beautiful warm Saturday and the fields are full of beautiful cars. I've not been able to get many pics due to judging duties but I'm sure others will share theirs. It's a great AACA day!!!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thank you to the judging team I served with yesterday at the Grand Nationals in Gettysburg, PA:  Pat Geary, Johnnie Garner, and Ed Katz.  They were great:  fair, attentive to details, reasonable, knowledgeable, asked good questions, and fun to work with.  (They even soldiered on without complaint in the 90-degree heat, while wearing masks, as we wandered the show field trying to find some of our cars that were out of place and two no-show cars.)  What more could you ask of a judging team!  Thank you very much guys--I look forward to serving with you again at another AACA show.

We wore our masks the whole day, but briefly dropped them (while holding our breath) for the second photo.

20200822_132611[1].jpg

20200822_132620[1].jpg

Just wanted to thank everyone for a wonderful event.  You guys made something possible at a time of impossibilities.

For the first time in 19 years, we had a show car that was not able to make it to the meet.  We've been as far west as  Northglenn, Colorado, as far north as Stowe, Vermont, and as far south as Punta Gorda, Florida, and whenever we left home, the show car always made it to the meet.

The bad thing, the '41 Ford didn't make it, the good thing is that no one was hurt, the cost of the repair was very minimal, the truck and hauler made it home without a mark on them and we'll get through it.  

Up until Thursday at noon, I wasn't even sure if I was going at all, I never dreamed the meet would ever take place, but as it turned out the meet took place, I still got to see the cars, but the '41 Ford had to stay home.

Pulling that meet off had to have been harder than pulling a gorilla out of a magician's hat.45496084_10216271176228008_3387704932743249920_o.thumb.jpg.915381df33369bd8e8ea6e9d5cd59e7d.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

A few photos of more vehicles that others haven't posted yet.  (I'll embarrass myself by admitting that after judging was complete, I walked around the show field taking photos for about 45-mins, then found out I didn't have a memory card in my camera.  I ran upstairs to my run, loaded the memory card--which was in my computer from downloading photos of the Zenith Awards cars the night before--and went outside again to start over.  Unfortunately, by that time the cars were beginning to leave the show field, so I lost some good photos.)

Thank you very much to all the owners who brought their vehicles to the 2020 Grand Nationals in Gettysburg to share with the rest of us!  (Thanks also to all the judges and volunteers who helped make the show happen!)  You can't have a car show without cars.

For those able to make it to Hershey, I look forward to seeing you (and your cars) there.  Be safe and stay healthy.

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

Edited by Mark McAlpine (see edit history)

Add my two cents in here.  We were selling t-shirts that were designed for Hershey.  The front of the shirt said AACA STRONG!  Well we were strong and manged in 30 days to move a meet from Allentown to Gettysburg.  Pat is right, this was one heck of a feat but our staff, board, regions and members showed we could have a show and do it responsibly.  My hat is off to all who took part and all who  acted out of concern for others, not just themselves.  It was a GREAT weekend for the club and bodes well for Hershey.  By the way, we have extended the Hershey deadline to September 15th...we NEED 1,000 cars there.  Please join us.  Free BBQ on Friday night!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

A few more photos.  I'm hoping seeing these beautiful antique vehicles, and what a great day everyone had, will encourage members to bring their vehicles to Hershey and/or judge.  Even if you can't bring your car, truck, or motorcycle, come enjoy the day with your fellow AACA members.

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added photos (see edit history)

We truly enjoyed the experience of a Grand National. We could only participate as spectators since our driver Buicks are always a work in progress. I spent so much time taking photos and speaking to the show car owners that I neglected to get any photos of our friends riding with us in or 1925 Buick. I noticed some people taking pictures of us tooling around the grounds in our car. If so could you please send me any photos you may have taken of us. Send PM.DSCF7574.thumb.JPG.336e0b7c8d51dc1161dee959096b9417.JPG

• Like 3

I would like to thank and congratulate everyone involved in planning, judging and hosting the Grand National. 

The site was excellent, everything well organized and the cameraderie was wonderful!

• Like 2

Thanks again to each and everyone of you involved in puting this show on from Board members to the Judges and participants. It was an incredible feat and seemed to go flawlessly. Everyone I spoke to had nothing but good things to say and were extremelyly happy to be there. My class (36F) had more cars than most Meets I have attended. The Buicks came out in force in many classes and we had 7 of them in my class. I am not great at posting small MB pictures so here are two photos of six of the Gran Sports together at the end of the show in class 36F as one had already left to load up. Thanks again to all of you  it was a great feeling to get on the road again to a Meet. P.S. My results were everything I could hope for as my 1973 mostly original Yellow Stage1 Suncoupe surprised me again by going further than I thought possible winning a First Grand National. My 1973 Harvest Gold Stage1 4 Speed also won its Senior Grand National. To say I was happy with the results is an understatement! Looking forward to Hershey and seeing some of you at the Greenbrier Concours with the Gold car. You all deserve a round of thanks and applause for a job very well done. Will post what pictures I got a chance to take on the AACA FaceBook page.

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest Mark McAlpine
26 minutes ago, philip roitman said:

Thanks again to each and everyone of you involved in putting this show on form Board members to the Judges and participants. It was an incredible feat and seemed to go flawlessly. Everyone I spoke to had nothing but good things to say and were extremely happy to be there. My class (36F) had more cars than most Meets I have attended. The Buicks came out in force in many classes and we had 7 of them in my class. I am not great at posting small MB pictures so here are two photos of six of the Gran Sports together at the end of the show in class 36F as one had already left to load up. Thanks again to all of you  it was a great feeling to get on the road again to a Meet. P.S. My results were everything I could hope for as my 1973 mostly original Yellow Stage1 Suncoupe surprised me again by going further than I thought possible winning a First Grand National. My 1973 Harvest Gold Stage1 4 Speed also won its Senior Grand National. To say I was happy with the results is an understatement! Looking forward to Hershey and seeing some of you at the Greenbrier Concours with the Gold car. You all deserve a round of thanks and applause for a job very well done. Will post what pictures I got a chance to take on the AACA FaceBook page.

Congratulations on both your cars receiving their well-deserved awards, Phillip!  I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to talk.  Maybe we'll have more time in Hershey.

Congrats again, and thanks for posting the photos.

2 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

I would like to thank and congratulate everyone involved in planning, judging and hosting the Grand National. 

The site was excellent, everything well organized and the cameraderie was wonderful!

Yeah I LOVE that location in Gettysburg.  I've been to two Early Ford V8 meets there, and this was my second AACA meet there.  Great venue, great location.  The other thing I like is that with the shuttle bus, you can leave your car right there and hop on the shuttle bus to go downtown, the Visitor's Center, etc. 

If you don't want to leave the property, everything you need is right there on that property.  Truth be told I know the lay of the land so well, I was actually stoked when I found out that the meet was moved to there.  Had it not been for the breakdown I not only wouldn't have been able to have a vehicle in the show, I also would've gotten down there 7 hours sooner to enjoy the place.

IMG_7900.JPG