1921 Studebaker EG Big Six 7 pass touring - $21,000 - Mission Hills, KS - Not Mine - SOLD!!!! - Now Reactivation Project

5 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

George,

Did you coax the solvent into the stud fits with a bit of heat?

Al

No, because acetone is VERY flammable.  An induction heater as mentioned in other threads recently would be a great tool for this purpose.

This is a really neat car! I was just reading about the crack engineering team of Zender, Skelton and Beer, who created the Chrysler 70 and I discovered that prior to Chrysler they were at Studebaker. While there they decided that a good test for any engine should be, that it be able to run for 50 hours at full load. 

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to 1921 Studebaker EG Big Six 7 pass touring - $21,000 - Mission Hills, KS - Not Mine - SOLD!!!! - Now Reactivation Project

surprisingly, we didnt break anything. This screwdriver head removal method is not ideal as it can damage the mating surfaces. But, sometimes you dont have much choice. We use this method on our lincolns, sometimes it takes days. With lincolns, you cant pull straight up since its a v-8 engine. I suppose I could have done the spark plug/eye bolt/hoist method on this car instead. Fortunately, there was minimal damage from all the levers we used.

I dont want to rebuild the engine. It is  100 years old but it is very low mileage and runs pretty darn well. I just wanted to clean up the valves and replace the gaskets. The main issue with the running is the original spark plug wires and the leaky water pump. 

• Like 1

How many miles on the Stude?  You probably will be blessed when you get a new core in the radiator, especially, if you take the time with the head off to thoroughly clean and flush out the water galleys.  How much ridge did you find in your cylinders?  Did you see any weak places in your head gasket that would be an indicator of a head that is warped?  Share your update pictures with us.

Al

the studebaker has about 33,000 miles. it was parked in 1932 and stored until modern time and has had about 4k miles added. 

the cylinders have absolutely no ridge whatsoever. I was surprised. The bores are perfect. The head gasket was not leaking, I just wanted to clean it and do a valve job. I had the head crack checked and it was warped about .007" so we had it surfaced at the recommendation of our machinist. 

• Like 3

Good call on getting the head resurfaced!  All that can do is take away a future problem.  If your Stude was not abused, you should have many years of good patina filled fun.  Have you located a donor transmission so you can make the gear change process/transmission much more drivable as well as trouble free?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

• 5 months later...