Air Conditioner On/Off Switch

• TC KER changed the title to Air Conditioner On/Off Switch

1990 TC 3.0 Liter. The heater works as does the defroster, floor, bi-level and panel buttons. The push button to turn on the A/C stopped illuminating blue and simultaneously cold air stopped coming through the vents.  Has anyone experienced this or are there any suggestions for the fix of it?  

Thanks for the info TexasJohn; any chance that you would know where that fuse would be?  The 30A fuse under the steering wheel for the A/C is good; I pulled it out and it appears that it is for the fan that blows air out the vents.

I don't have a clue, don't you have a book or a fuse panel legend at the panel? You are in the right forum, maybe someone who can help will check in. I know nothing about the marque, just trying to get you headed the right direction.

You may have to consult a wiring diagram.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Look at the dampened pressure switch.  It is located on the left side of the engine bay close to the receiver dryer. It has two wires attached to a pressure switch on a A/C line.  If it is bad, it can be removed from the system without losing your charge because it has a Schrader valve behind it. If you jump it out and then your ac runs, that is your problem

• 1 month later...

I had an a/c guy do this project and it was indeed the cut-off switch that went bad. Yes Hemi, the switch is screw-in on the expansion valve and he did exactly what you said in our private message which was to replace the switch and fill the system. The system was low on refrigerant so the compressor wouldn't kick on and the 30amp fuse was not the issue; all is working good now.  The pictures attached are of the switch pulled apart after I cleaned a pool of oil out of it and the picture Hemi sent me of the cut-off switch.

20210212_093203.thumb.jpg.0affcc8690a3a7b0982ea501154b7875.jpg

TC Cut-Off Switch.jpeg