Need Headlight motor fix

stall

To quote from older post

"I have headlight repair KITS.........they include a new STEEL bellcrank,  three of the plastic rollers for inside the motor,  a plastic nut for the UP-STOP screw, instructions, and shipping for $40 per KIT (need a KIT for each headlight)

If the headlight motors have never been opened,  you might have one or more of the hex screws snap off.....especially if the car was driven in rust belt winters.....

For anyone that has a problem opening the motors,  or no shop or tools.........I offer rebuilt motors for $50 exchange (I need your old motor so it can be rebuilt for the next Reatta owner that needs one)"  From Ronnie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a bad passenger side HL motor that I can send to TX but i need address and price ,  I e-mailed The address Ronnie has in the Forums   fix-it section and no reply, I assume its an older email.

Thanks, Murray 

Murray.  I'm not sure who you were quoting.  If it was Barney Eaton who sells headlight repair kits and headlight motors his contact information is below.  I don't think his email has changed.

Call: 512-869-5114   -   Email:  barney@texas.net

I still have the headlight repair parts............

I will sell you just a bellcrank,

or a Kit with bellcrank, rollers, up stop,

I also have rebuilt motors for people that do not want to take a chance in opening theirs, or they broke the screws or

they are paying a mechanic to put the rollers in the motor.... my rebuilt motor is cheaper than the mechanics labor.

Barney@texas.net is still a good email and I have all the above ready to ship.

I am a "junker" and do things a bit different. I crank up the headlight and remove the plastic trim that is around the headlight. I then remove the plastic shroud between the headlights [3- 10mm bolts, and plastic clips.

Then using a 10mm wrench and 10mm socket remove the bolt that holds the bracket to the headlight bracket. 

Unplug the headlight motor.

I then remove the top 10mm bolt that holds the headlight motor support bracket in place. I push the bracket over to one side [it does "give" a bit] and using a 10mm ratcheting box wrench I remove the three bolts that hold the motor in place and rotate the motor out with the crank and bracket through the "hole".

I do it in less then 20 minutes and don't have to deal with the shims for the headlight trim piece.

11 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

using a 10mm ratcheting box wrench I remove the three bolts that hold the motor in place and rotate the motor out with the crank and bracket through the "hole".

That's where I'd get stumped. I don't have any fancy wrenches like that I don't have small hands like Padgett does. 😂

The only thing I don't like about the above method..... it does not allow you to clean and lube the headlight door pivot bolts.

I also clean and lube the "link" that has the bronze bearings.   

The take everything apart method can have its problems if one of the studs comes out of the door cover,  just an irritation more than a problem.

The "link" comes along with the motor and headlight crank. Can lube it if you want, you just don't get to lube the headlight door pivots. 

But it is a lot easier [if you have a ratcheting box wrench [which you use "backwards"].