Steering Parts Needed 1922 Studebaker Light Six Model EJ

I am restoring my Steering Cross Tube and Steering Reach Rod, on my 1922 Studebaker Light Six Model EJ. I am in need of some of the internal parts. Some of mine are extremely worn, broken, or were replaced by the wrong part in the past.

Most of these parts were used from at least 1919 to 1924, and a few even later. They were only on the Light Six, as the Special Six/Big Six are similar but larger versions.

NOS is preferred, but used is fine also.

I would be happy, if rather than individual parts, someone had a used whole Steering Cross Tube and Steering Reach Rod, complete. However, I don't need the actual tube and rod themselves.

Pics show dimensions, as there were 3 different cross tube styles. I have not been able to match them up to other makes.

Stude Part #  Need          Description

5x38                 2             Reach rod spring seat spacer

32038               4             Reach rod ball bolt

43805               1             Steering cross tube / Reach rod ball cover spring

44500               1             Reach rod socket plug

44501               1             Steering cross tube / Reach rod ball cup plug

44503               2             Steering cross tube spring

44509               1             Reach rod ball cup plug

45401               4             Steering cross tube ball cup

45402               7             Steering cross tube ball cup shim

45403               2             Steering cross tube spring

More pics of individual parts on follow up post.

610 390-310five

georgr@ptd.net

Thanks,

steeringmeas1.jpg

steeringmeas3.jpg

Edited by George Rohrbach (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From what I can tell, The steering cross tube parts will work (at least some of the parts) from Light Six - 1919 SH, 1920, 1921, 1922 EJ. Also 1923 and 1924 EM. But not from 1925 and up. My books do not list before 1919, but the earlier years might be usable also.

The reach rod would help out from 1919 SH, 1920, 1921, 1922 EJ. Also 1923 and 1924 EM. And also the 1925 to 28 ER and EU. (This is the Standard Six model, that is the continuation of the Light Six. The big thing on those is the Ball Bolt, that attaches the reach rod to the Pitman Arm.

I am now  also looking for a couple of wheel rims from the 1925 to 1929 ER and EU. The rims are the same on the wood, and disc wheels, from what I can tell.

That ball stud (32038) has a similar looking part common from 1913-1918 but a different part number... maybe just a simple dimension but may also be a different taper. You can always try one if you find it.

• 2 months later...