6 VOLT FUEL PUMP

MikeDeFelice

😀I HAVE REPLACED 4  FUEL PUMPS IN THE LAST MONTH. THEY LAST ABOUT 10 MINUTES.

THE FAILURE MODE IS I GO FOR A RIDE 5-10 MINUTES AND EVERTHING IS FINE. THE NEXT

TIME I START THE CAR THE PUMP FAILS. I DISECTED THE LAST PUMP AND A COMPONENT

ON THE PUMP IS BURNED. ALL PUMPS ARE THE SAME PHYSICAL APPEARANCE BUT FROM

DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS. I CHECKED FOR OVER VOLTAGE CONDITION. FIRST PUMP HAS BEEN ON THE

CAR OVER FIVE YEARS WITHOUT A PROBLEM.   H E L P  !!!!

I've installed a few of these Airtex 6 volt low pressure pumps from Summit Racing in my customer's cars and no problems with any.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8902

One of my customers had the high pressure version installed by another shop and it kept locking up the float needle in the carb. Depending on pump design, that may cause back pressure long enough to overheat the pump ?

Are the ones your using high, or low pressure ?

Paul

By low pressure I mean 2-4 psi, same as Franklin rated the original AC mechanical pump. But some think the 6-8 psi pumps are low pressure compared to fuel injection pumps. What is the PSI range of your Webers ?

If you have to use an electric on a 6 volt era car all I can advise is try the Airtex low pressure. Better suited to float needle carbs and plenty of volume for even the bigger engines of that era.

BTW the AC mechanical pump on your Franklin is a very good pump and it is rebuildable. Once properly rebuilt they last a lifetime, or two.

Paul

Mike,

Don't worry about the pictures. Call Then And Now Automotive - aka Antique Parts Cellar, and ask Tom for a 1929-30 Franklin AC pump kit. He has the listings and will give you the correct kit. That's how I've been ordering them from him for a few decades.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/

Be careful with that pump base. They only used that model AC on '29 and '30 Franklins and they are rare as hen's teeth !!!!!

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

PAUL, I ORDERED THE PUMP KIT. I MENTIONED THE PUSHROD HAD BEEN ADDED ON TO TOM. HE SAID IT PROBABLY WAS NOT NEEDED.

DOES ANONE HAVE A SPEC ON THE LENGHT OF THE ROD?  IT IS RIGHT AT 8 INCHES. NO THOUGHTS ON THE ELECTRIC PUMP. DO U

KNOW WHAT PRESSURE THE  PUMP IS SUPPOSED TO PUT OUT? I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT THE WEBERS REQUIRE. THEY RAN FINE

ON THE ELECTRIC UNTIL IT STOPPED RUNNING.

MIKE

On the Club's website, you can look up all the specs on the factory drawing by using the drawing (part) number in the 30 parts book.

The original Franklin AC pumps were rated 2-4 psi. Anything over 1 psi works fine.  If your electric pumps were higher than 4 psi and the carb float level was set for them, you'll need to reset the float level with the rebuilt original, or it'll be too low.   

Paul

I ordered a 12VDC Carter P4070 In-Line Electric Fuel Pump from Amazon for ~$66.  Running on a 6 VDC system has the pump going at 1/2 speed.  The pressure is 2.5 psi however I did add a dial type pressure regulator [not sure if it is helping much].  Its dialed down to 1 psi.    Lower is better since the vacuum tank would supply by gravity and head pressure from about 1 foot above it.  Hope this helps.

Running an electric fuel pump on a car that was designed for a vacuum tank is extremely dangerous and is inviting a fire. It should NEVER be done. Some use them as a boost pump to prime the system, another BAD idea. The vacuum tanks work fine, it just takes effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maok said:

Is it possible that the failed electric pumps were running dry and over heating because those 3 webers a pulling too much fuel and the pump cant keep up?

It's only a 274 CID engine. For carbs to run any normal pump dry would flood the engine first.  

Mike's engine has a very good AC mechanical pump, that if properly rebuilt, is simple, reliable, designed for that engine, and will work very well for a life time.  There is no need of an electric, except, with today's quick to dry out gasoline, to prime the carb after a few weeks sitting unused.

Paul