'36 Dodge roof bumpers

jpage

Here's a question for you '36 Dodge guys. There are 6 rectangular rubber bumpers that pop over the studs on the inside roof structure along the insert line on the sedans. Over the years I've forgotten exactly where they go. Does anyone know their placement.Can't find any info referring to them. Thanks for any info. This is why it's important to take pictures, can't trust the memory over 20 years.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Sorry jpage, my car wasn’t so far gone to have to pull out the entire top. I just did the repaint and then filled the gap with rubber caulk sealer. Hope you get yours squared away. 

These bumpers go underneath the top along the seam. I think they are to protect one from gouging their head in the mounting studs if one should get to close to the top edge of the headliner. That, or the help give support to the headliner. I just can't remember where they go anymore. You have to have the headliner off to see them.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:25 AM, jpage said:

This is why it's important to take pictures, can't trust the memory over 20 years.

I wish there was a way to recall photo locations...

When I was growing up an ole timer used to tell me  " I had all my crap in one bucket, now if I can just find that bucket "...

I was sure he was joking... now I question if he meant it.

Just a thought for the parts : 
Could they have been some kind of spacers for pillar sections ? Any photos of the part ? Might be able to locate them in catalogs or brochures..

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

That's the little buggers! Maybe there are only three as I might have saved them from another car. Thanks, I kinda figured that's where they went but because I have 6, I couldn't remember. The little things like this, that you think you'll never forget about are the things that you usually forget about! Pays to log everything, but I never dreamed it would take almost 30 years to finish this car!  Thanks for the photos!  Jim

I noticed that your car has the 1 piece rear retainer rods. I had 1 car that had the 1 piece rods and another that had 2 piece rods. Curious! I had three cars , 1 built early, 1 built about mid run and 1 built late and I found several changes and discrepancies between all 3. Interesting.. 

I really think that they were to protect the passengers heads from hitting the studs if one should try to stand up. They are positioned right over the passengers heads.Thanks again for the info!

• 2 weeks later...