steering wheel restoration

bgl

Hello

My steering wheel (tan) is sun-baked to the point of appearing to be black on the top.  Does anyone know a place that will restore these?  Also, any idea of cost?  Thanks!

Good Morning - there is probably no restoration really possible for the current leather on your wheel.  Craft Customs has done/recovered 2 wheels for me...excellent - superb work.....but not cheap !  Google Craft Customs for an estimate/price.

I have been lucky and had nice wheels but I often wondered when I saw ones that needed replaced if you could take the old cover off and use something like this. it would not be the best option for a show car but if you have a nice driver and are able to sit and install it neatly it should make for a nice installation https://www.autoanything.com/steeringwheel-covers/77A3792A4683348.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&DZID=PLA_g_1776971175_68637805626_3792-4683348_c&utm_source=g&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1776971175&utm_content=68637805626&utm_product=3792-4683348&gclid=CjwKCAjwte71BRBCEiwAU_V9hzPCdpKiu_2o4i_QaruxOY7PT1FDuxI5bxNVM7c9HBHNUsC-j4Y0GhoCrFgQAvD_BwE

The leather (do it yourself) covers were once available at all auto parts stores,  but you seldom see them.  

I have used them on plastic wheels that I wanted to upgrade and they work pretty good but the installation all depends

on the person doing the work.    If you take your time and lace them carefully they will look good.

The $60 price above seems high and an Ebay search will probably turn up a better price.   

Like Nic I had a tan and grey wheel done by the company in the Dallas area and their work is better than new but the price is

around $200.....they will match existing color or do them in any color you want.

Craft Customs does excellent work but the price is way higher then $200.00 I just bought a very nice 1988 with a marginal wheel and what I did was sand  the leather and spray painted it with SEM. I think it turned out well for a daily driver.

22 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

The leather (do it yourself) covers were once available at all auto parts stores,  but you seldom see them.  

I have used them on plastic wheels that I wanted to upgrade and they work pretty good but the installation all depends

on the person doing the work.    If you take your time and lace them carefully they will look good.

The $60 price above seems high and an Ebay search will probably turn up a better price.   

Like Nic I had a tan and grey wheel done by the company in the Dallas area and their work is better than new but the price is

around $200.....they will match existing color or do them in any color you want.

I would think like anything else there are different quality levels available in the leather covers